PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Application menu slow to respond

s-rob-t
September 19th, 2014, 10:57 AM
I'm running Xubuntu 14.04, and recently I've found that the Icon at the top left of the screen, that launches the 'Application menu', has become slow to respond. I often have to hold my mouse over the icon for a number of seconds before the 'Application menu' pop up appears, and only then will the button operate and display the application menu.

Once the menu displays the menu responds well. Also other actions on top menu bar work fine. It is just that one button.

I thought it was just a quirk of my main works system, that runs in a VirtualBox VM, but I've just noticed the same problem on my home PC which also runs Xubuntu 14.04.

Can you suggest where I should look for something that may make launching the Application menu sluggish?

wamses2
October 21st, 2014, 05:58 AM
I noticed the same after I had changed the System appearance/Behaviour setting to 'Show the menu in the windows title bar'. Getting a response was painfully slow especially after loading the application. Changed the setting back to 'In the menu bar' and it seems to work much better.

Retro_Garage
October 21st, 2014, 01:34 PM
As silly as it sounds, try just changing the size, icon, or what the text says ("Appz, Apps"). Also try changing your icon set because your application menu icons are selected centrally for file manager, tray, and apps menu and maybe the icon set you're using just load slowly for whatever reason. I'm on utopic with 768mb ram and it's smooth but i need to pay attention to things of that nature. Try changing some compositor options as well in Window Manager Tweaks.