PDA

View Full Version : files after upgrade

Daslee
September 14th, 2014, 05:55 PM
Hello. If I'll upgrade my ubuntu from 12.04 to 14.04, my files gets deleted or not? I mean files in home folder, downloads, on desktop.

Bashing-om
September 14th, 2014, 07:04 PM
Daslee; Hi ! Welcome to the forum.

In the release upgrade, all personal files will be preserved. That is not to say that there is not a small amount of risk. Bad things can happen; one should always back up important data, particularly so when that risk is increased.
In the release upgrade one reverts all 3rd party software to what is available in the software repository, OR disables the source - the installer does a good job of disabling the 3rd party stuff, but it is not perfect. Disabling PPAs manually may prevent problems, in particular in this respect are graphics and WIFI drivers. ubuntu can not control what outside sources may have done !

Disable your screen saver

AND
The system is fully updated -> the package manager is in a happy state.

Then go for it ! I have never ever had a problem personally with a online release upgrade if the above is observed - backups, always have good backups, one can never tell what might perchance !

ain't no step for a stepper

ian-weisser
September 14th, 2014, 10:40 PM
Bashing-om is right.

My personal files have always been preserved.
Ubuntu tries very hard to preserve your /home during a release upgrade.
And I think they do a very good job preserving /home data.

But that's not a guarantee, and Ubuntu's liability for a botched upgrade and losing all your data is $0.
A backup, on general principles, is prudent, whether you are upgrading or not. Backup media are very cheap and convenient.