PDA

View Full Version : Hooked my laptop up to my HDTV(finally)

Cliff_Simonds
September 13th, 2014, 08:43 AM
Yesterday I finally hooked my Asus X54C to my LG 32LG350-ZA tv. WOW!!! What a difference between a TV:1920x1080@60Hz and a laptop:1366x768!!! Being that my tv only has 2 hdmi jacks, I first tried RGB, and it looked totally crappy and fuzzy(kinda like SEGA 16bit on a CRT tv). I then proceeded to unhooked my Home Cinema(I don't watch BluRays that often and use it mostly as a stereo and sound system for my tv, so the optical jack is enough) and hooked the tv up to my laptop, then eventually figured out I have to turn the laptops screen off or it just clones it, and BANG, it worked. I tried to find a HDMI switcher at the electronics store where I shop, but here in Germany they're usually about 5 years behind(and that's even though they invent and export some of the best electronics the world).
Of course I had to get me a wireless keyboard and mouse, so I bought Logitech Wireless Combo mk330, not top o'the line, but works for me. It cost me only €39.95.
The drivers that come with ubuntu worked great and found every thing, even though I only have INTEL B960 intergrated graphics(HD2000).
So now I have a 32'' HD computer screen and the sound from Audacious on my LG HB805 Home Cinema rocks. As a side note on Windows 7 it was not so easy getting everything set up, not that difficult, just not so easy as Ubuntu, and the graphics and sound are actually better on Ubuntu.

CODERS, PROGRAMMERS AND CANONICAL, YOU GOTTA LOVE THEM!

grahammechanical
September 13th, 2014, 03:01 PM
Recently my HDTV/Monitor broke and I brought a digital TV. It did not have a DVI port which is what I was using for the HDTV/Monitor so temporarily I used a VGA cable and we do not get the full range of resolutions available. Things got much better when I connected using a HDMI cable. Full range of resolutions available.

Regards.

Cliff_Simonds
September 13th, 2014, 03:46 PM
Recently my HDTV/Monitor broke and I brought a digital TV. It did not have a DVI port which is what I was using for the HDTV/Monitor so temporarily I used a VGA cable and we do not get the full range of resolutions available. Things got much better when I connected using a HDMI cable. Full range of resolutions available.

Regards.

Same here. I don' know, I guess VGA is fof analog, so it wouldn't have full range, and besides I then had to use the headphone jack for sound then(being it's only a lappy). But, MY GOD, the difference hi def makes. I mean, with ubuntu I could get better 3D than with windows(for example Desktop Cube), because ubuntu uses less cpu resourses that can be used for graphics, but now, in hi def, even the Refugee skin from Audacious stands out from the tv, and I wanna pull it off and place it on a shelf.:guitar: