PDA

View Full Version : [server] Broken 12>14 upgrade

welefort
September 10th, 2014, 08:52 PM
I run 12.04 server edition under Virtualbox. It hosts a tiny service I use for hosting some site. I decided to run the upgrade to 14 and just did the simple

sudo do-release-upgrade.

Everything look ok.. No errors that I saw, but after the reboot I get the (initramfs) prompt.

During the boot up, I have the option to select recovery mode. That works, but a normal boot doesn't.

ian-weisser
September 10th, 2014, 11:34 PM
Any errors in /var/log/syslog?

oldfred
September 10th, 2014, 11:41 PM
Did you install any proprietary drivers?
Particularly video drivers, those should be uninstalled before upgrade and reinstalled after.

I also have this in my notes:

"If the “apt-get upgrade” does not successfully complete then a flag is set and update-initramfs does not get to run, hence grub gets all messed up. You should be able to boot using the old kernel and then run the sudo update-initramfs –u -k command. Then run sudo dpkg –reconfigure. That should clear the upgrade flags and fix any broken packages."

welefort
September 11th, 2014, 03:24 AM
No special drivers that Im aware of. This was installed under virtualbox as a VM..so it might have..but I dont know. The syslog shows no errors.

But the boot.log does have one error

/scripts/local-top/cryptroot: line 1: can't open /dev/mapper/tinyboard--vg-root$root: no such file.