PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] desktop layout

Peter Ratcliffe
September 10th, 2014, 07:30 PM
My new desktop computer has been loaded with Ubuntu 14.04 from a Linux Format cover disk LXF185. My old machine, running an older Ubuntu upgraded to 13.04. When I click on the files icon using the old machine it shows the contents of my home directory as a single column. When I click on files in the new machine it comes up with a column which lists Places, Home, Desktop Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos, Rubbish bin, Devices, Computer, Network, Browse network, Connect to server next to the icon panel. To the right again is the listing of my home directory. Some directory names are same in both panels. Should both come up together, or have I missed astep? Any comments will be appreciated.

Thanks, Peter

deadflowr
September 10th, 2014, 07:56 PM
The columns on the left are static, meaning they will never change, where as the main window can change depending on where you are in the file system.
The left column can be useful to quickly navigate to certain folders if need be.

Adding: if you don't feel you need the left side column, you can disable it.
Either in the menu option "view", or press the button F9.

kostkon
September 11th, 2014, 07:19 AM
That doesn't sound like Unity. Could you post a screenshot of your desktop?

grahammechanical
September 11th, 2014, 12:17 PM
When you open the File Manager (Nautilus) in Ubuntu 14.04 look at the top right of the application window. You will see 3 buttons. The middle button will have an icon of 3 lines stacked on top of each other. The right button will have an icon of a 3 x 3 grid pattern. Move the mouse over each button and you will see the button labels. Which are "View items as a list" and "View items as a grid." Click the middle one.

Ubuntu 14.04 is 1 year newer than 13.04. The developers of Nautilus, Gnome.org have modified the way the File Manager works. It is called design. Nothing stays the same in Linux.

Peter Ratcliffe
September 13th, 2014, 09:44 AM
Thanks, Deadflower. I can understand what it means now.

Kostkon. Thanks for your input. Problem solved.

Peter :KS