PDA

View Full Version : 'Open and Libre Office projects should reunite'

vasa1
September 10th, 2014, 11:24 AM
https://joinup.ec.europa.eu/community/osor/news/open-and-libre-office-projects-should-reunite
The Swiss Federal Supreme Court uses OpenOffice, but according to Brunner would benefit from the improved document filters that are available in LibreOffice. However, the former suite is more stable and is available on mobile computing platforms, he says, while the latter benefits from a bigger community of developers, introducing more new features.

ian-weisser
September 10th, 2014, 01:13 PM
The fork occurred for several reasons within the developer community.
Those reasons would need to be resolved for a merge to be feasible.
Resolving those differences seems unlikely at this time.

I think both projects are improving faster since the split.
In this case, I think the competition has been good for both.

user1397
September 10th, 2014, 05:39 PM
Without any statistical data to backup this claim, I would think that the major difference now between usage of the two projects is that since libreoffice is the default for most (if not all) linux distros, that it is the one most widely used for desktop users and non-commercial activity, whereas openoffice was more widely adopted in governments/industry before the split, and because of stability reasons they decided not to change to libreoffice after the split.

So it really makes you wonder if there are more libreoffice or openoffice installs in the world, considering governments and businesses can deploy thousands at a time.

grahammechanical
September 10th, 2014, 07:40 PM
Merging the two projects will convince more public administrations to use the open source office suite, he believes.

Public administrators were not in any hurry to dump proprietary software before the split between the developers of Open Office and those same public administrators are still slow at taking up software that complies with open standards.

Regards.

deadflowr
September 11th, 2014, 07:26 AM
My understanding is the split happened because of Oracles dwaddling on what they were going to do and a lot of fixes weren't being added because of Oracles dwaddling and since a large chunk of the code base was open sourced when Sun control it, the developers who were frustrated by Oracles dwaddling forked that open sourced code base as libreoffice.

There were high hopes that oracle would release the whole thing in a freer open source license, but instead they choose the more permissible Apache license which has a few conflicts with some free software philosophy. Or something like that.

vasa1
September 11th, 2014, 08:28 AM
... the more permissible Apache license which has a few conflicts with some free software philosophy. Or something like that.
I maybe oversimplifying but the Apache license allows a user to modify the code and not share the modification back with the community.

mastablasta
September 11th, 2014, 01:11 PM
I maybe oversimplifying but the Apache license allows a user to modify the code and not share the modification back with the community.

yup that is the major difference. you can basically do whatever you want with the code while with GPL you can do what you want with the code and then need to share it with others.

cAzJJBx
September 11th, 2014, 02:48 PM
Are the licenses compatible? That is, can one incorporate code from the other?

vasa1
September 11th, 2014, 02:53 PM
Are the licenses compatible? That is, can one incorporate code from the other?I understand that LibreOffice can use code from Apache OpenOffice. I don't know about the reverse.

mastablasta
September 12th, 2014, 08:17 AM
reverse can't be used because if they do they would have to re-share it (i.e. it would have to stay open). But since they issue their code under Apache license this won't be true (since apache doesn't have that clause - that the code has to stay open).

ssam
September 12th, 2014, 11:38 AM
What platforms is Openoffice available for that Libreoffice is not? Libreoffice seems closer to having an android release.

Also, how can you the idea that if you merge a stable product with a fast developing product that you get a result that is both stable and featureful is a bit odd. OO is stable in that if has slow development and few new features. In software 'stable' usually means unchanging not fewer bugs. If you want stability in LO then use their 'Still' branch instead of the 'fresh' branch https://www.libreoffice.org/download/libreoffice-still/

mastablasta
September 12th, 2014, 12:40 PM
it was said mobile platforms I believe.

though I installed WPS on Android...

madjr
September 13th, 2014, 05:33 AM
hmm, not sure if they should merge, but I do want for at least one of them to advance in their cloud roadmap an offer a 365 competitor.

Sharing / collaborating in the cloud is the way to go, we're not in 2003 anymore...

vasa1
September 13th, 2014, 07:05 AM
@madjr, long time no see :)

vasa1
September 26th, 2014, 10:56 AM
http://standardsandfreedom.net/index.php/2014/09/26/reunification/