PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Suspend-resume results in black screen in Ubuntu 14.04 but not in Linux Mint 17

dilidon
September 9th, 2014, 05:41 PM
Hi,
I'm reporting this problem thinking this could contribute to resolving an issue in the next release. I'm not entirely sure how to formulate it as a bug appropriately. Perhaps someone could help me diagnose this problem and we could file a proper report.

One has found no solutions on numerous forums and links. One has found people in the same situation.

In short, resuming an Asus A43SM laptop with Ubuntu 14.04 and Ubuntu Gnome 14.04.1 from suspend results in a black/blank screen with a moving mouse cursor but usually no keyboard access. This is independend of wether Noveau or Nvidia proprietary drivers are being used. After a few keypresses also the keyb indicator lights fix in one position. In some rare occasions tty terminal is available on pressiong CTRL+ALT+F5. Mostly not. So hard reset is the only solution. Also present in a fresh install.

This was not the case on the 13.04 version of Ubuntu, nor, which may be useful, is it present in Linux Mint 17 that is based on Ubuntu 14.04.
This behaviour was also present in a fresh install of Ubuntu Gnome 14.04.1 that one tried yesterday. At the moment one has Linux Mint 17 and Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 installed. I erased Ubuntu 14.04.

So far I've failed to find any error messages in logs - I saw a similar report by another user who seemed more knowledgeable where to look than me on some forum. And I tried various options and ways to suspend. I personally sort of don't have this problem anymore - I solved it by migrating away to Linux Mint 17 as living without it was not an option, but cinnamon has its on problems to which support forums can provide a solution thus far, which make one want to return to Ubuntu-land soon.

How to go about this?