PDA

View Full Version : Breezy Badger Mascot Preview, please suggest!!

archibald
March 27th, 2005, 11:07 PM
Hey everyone,

One thing that caught my eye was the mascot competition for breezy badger, and I thought I'd design a badger.... This seems like a much harder task, as badgers arent the most "photogenic" of animals, and seem to be quite hard to style-ize!!!

Anyhow, here's my entry. I would be more than glad of any crits or comments, so as to improve my chances of success at being accepted!!!

I thought I'd recycle my Medicine Mask (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=21702&page=3&pp=10) , as noone has actually used it yet, and may even get some free advertising if it is accepted!!!

here are some thoughts on it:
I thought this badger was breezy, as in fresh, young, brisk, and full of life, bounding/prancing along…
He is holding in his paws an ancient african medicine mask (aka ubuntu). By peeping out from behind it, he is showing a departure from old linux, or a new beginning for the ubuntu project, while he is still holding his “roots” firmly in his paws! He is bringing you ubuntu (as he is a DEVELOPER mascott). And he is bringing it on fast. He is looking into the sky, looking into the future. His jumping along makes him breezy.

I hope you'll all be honest enough not to copy, but then others have posted theirs too so I thought I'd risk it...

bored2k
March 27th, 2005, 11:14 PM
Looks fresh & cool. Reminds me of Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls ^_^ .

P.S. - Location:Switzerland and a Young Buc avatar ? lol .

Alessio
March 27th, 2005, 11:27 PM
Looks fresh & cool. Reminds me of Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls ^_^ .

P.S. - Location:Switzerland and a Young Buc avatar ? lol .
great :)

bored2k
March 27th, 2005, 11:41 PM
great :)

Windows was created do keep away stupid people from UNIX

That's where I heard that from ! Nice :D ;) .

archibald
March 28th, 2005, 05:06 PM
How bout some feedback, then??? Or suggestions, or tell me what you dont like about it!!!

totalshredder
March 28th, 2005, 05:50 PM
I LOVE the idea, but I think it needs to be more clean and less sharp. Like, more cartoony. Good work thus far though :)

Luke

wfx
March 28th, 2005, 06:17 PM
I dont like the animal maybe test it with other (cheetah, rhino, jackass penguins)

wfx.

archibald
March 28th, 2005, 10:39 PM
thanks wlx, but what do you mean more clean, less sharp??? those seem like opposites to me...
and btw, it HAS to be a badger....

wfx
March 28th, 2005, 10:53 PM
it is wFx not wLx ;-)

it HAS to be a badger....
Ok, then maybe a different pose.
I dont like the gradient fill of the animal, give him more style.

carlc
March 28th, 2005, 11:07 PM
Looks good. I was thinking that it would look cool to feature the badger's face from the front with a mischievous look on her face and with the mask pulled back on her head (kind of like a baseball hat).

somuchfortheafter
March 29th, 2005, 01:22 AM
ok if 50 cent had a badger... thats what we need a badger with guns and lil hoe badgers leaning all over him, then show him flippin off the bsd dude.......... ok well since that idea is only funny how about make it so the badger is running in the ubuntu wheel or is hopping out of it like porky pig used to do at the end of the cartoons.

carlc
March 29th, 2005, 03:49 AM
Looks good. I was thinking that it would look cool to feature the badger's face from the front with a mischievous look on her face and with the mask pulled back on her head (kind of like a baseball hat).

Let me see if I can make convey my idea better. I think giving the badger a sense of humanness would be a plus. Usually a mask would cover up the face but you don't want to do that in order to show the badger behind the mask. Having the mask pulled back would expose the face underneath. Rather than simply having a face, giving it a "mischievous" quality would hint that there is more than meets the eye.

UbuWu
April 4th, 2005, 08:08 PM
Nice, but I don't like the feet...

basse1989
April 4th, 2005, 08:46 PM
Ok, I have to say it. I don't like the feet, and I don't think there should be a mask.
And, a little tip, don't worry to much about how "human" it is.
It is supposed to be a badger after all. :)

Circle of Owls
April 4th, 2005, 10:30 PM
I think it looks great, I agree that it needs to face forward though. We don't want it tripping over anything, because it isn't paying attention to where it is going. I like the medicine mask, but I don't care for the "O" shaped mouth, it looks surprised or dazed.
Keep it up, awesome artwork.

John Nowak
April 10th, 2005, 12:14 PM
I do not care for this picture personally, sorry. I can elaborate if necessary...

archibald
April 10th, 2005, 01:34 PM
thankyou very much for the tips&suggestions everyone! I have carefully considered each one! and to the last guy, yeah, please elaborate!!

cheers, archi!

fng
April 12th, 2005, 02:16 PM
I thought I'd recycle my Medicine Mask (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=21702&page=3&pp=10) , as noone has actually used it yet, and may even get some free advertising if it is accepted!!!

It's been my desktop since you released that beauty

archibald
April 13th, 2005, 07:42 PM
hey everyone!
okay, next version: i tried to make him a little more mischievous, but I think that him looking up into the sky makes him all the more breezy!! does anyone else think he should be looking forward? if so, I'll definitely think about a big change!!
does anyone else think the mask should be smiling??

cheers, odt!

dermotti
April 14th, 2005, 03:33 AM
That badger is....rather homosexual......i think its the feet....something needs to be done! The rest is great tho!

trash
April 14th, 2005, 04:18 AM
got a problem with a gay badger?? LOL

dermotti
April 14th, 2005, 05:36 AM
Nothing at all!

archibald
April 14th, 2005, 08:02 PM
okay, heres the latest&greatest, with all your suggestions in it:
head turned, gradient gone, feet "less gay" but still prancing along!!!
tell me how you like it!! as you can see I DO listen to you!! I also changed the face, think it looks more breezy now.

cheers, n.

wfx
April 14th, 2005, 08:20 PM
The spirit of the mask (facial expression) does not match to the badger:
Maybe you can make more with hes eye and changing a bit the mouth?

The line of sight:
I think it would be better if it face me.

The paw:
?

Thats all ;-)

archibald
April 15th, 2005, 03:59 PM
you STILL dont like the paw???? what do you think it should look like then?? it is a badger, after all!

and you think the mask should be happy/breezy too??

wfx
April 15th, 2005, 05:58 PM
you STILL dont like the paw???? what do you think it should look like then?? it is a badger, after all!
You a right, i mean a bit more defined

and you think the mask should be happy/breezy too??
the badger should match the mask.

wfx
Ps: can i have the svg image?

archibald
April 15th, 2005, 06:54 PM
okay, well, the mask looks kind of stupid smiling, and is not really recognizable as an african mask, but looks more like a shakespeare mask from europe or something! Ive never seen a medicine mask from africa that was smiling...
if anyone else thinks this too though, I shall do it anyway! :)

and sorry to keep on about this, but what do you mean more defined feet? less gradient?

what good is the svg to you, may i ask?

wfx
April 15th, 2005, 09:16 PM
defined, maybe the wrong word im mean something like this:
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/17258361/

what good is the svg to you, may i ask?
to learn.

archibald
April 21st, 2005, 01:14 AM
okay, this is probably the final version that I'm gonna send in...
tell me what you think!

carlc
April 21st, 2005, 01:58 AM
Looks great! I like the one with the black background best.

dermotti
April 21st, 2005, 06:02 PM
I like the one without the background. send it in

archibald
May 17th, 2005, 08:54 PM
heres the version i finally sent in by the way, only very minor changes since the last one...