PDA

View Full Version : ubuntu nautilus aka files is garbage

ubunt72
September 7th, 2014, 06:09 PM
I am looking at either A) using a different form or DE of Ubuntu (so NOT Gnome or Unity) or B) abandoning the Ubuntu OS altogether...

Here's my complaint:

I cannot get the thumbnail for pictures to show up.... it just uses the default and in Gnome, it's a tree and sunset picture thumbnail. So, it's really annoying and irritating trying to find a particular picture. I had it before but I forget what I did. Somehow, it went back. What a POS.

When you use 'Nautilus', it's actually called 'FILES.' That's just stupid. Then when you google anything to do with Crapbuntu, I mean, Ubuntu... with the File Manager, everyone tells you to use Edit -> Preferences.... but, guess what, THERE ISN'T ONE!

There's only 'Properties.' I've used variations of Ubuntu for a long time but it is getting worse with every new release. I guess I will use the Ubuntu base with Mint until it gets worse.

Anyway, the rant is justified so if you have a complaint with this post... I don't care. I won't respond. I'll just ignore you as you should be ignored.

This post is for those who agree or would like to present a solution to the problem of locating the setting that allows 'previews' of the thumbnails. I have googled it to no avail.

SuperFreak
September 7th, 2014, 06:18 PM
File Preferencence is in a drop down menu on right top corner that looks like a cog on my machine

sffvba[e0rt
September 7th, 2014, 06:51 PM
Feel free to share your feedback with http://www.gnome.org/contact/ as these are all coming from upstream Gnome, but seeing as you are so justified to demand others cater to your and those that feel like yours whims why not undertake to maintain the older version of Nautilus yourselves... or just install another file-manager. XFCE uses Thunar, Mint has Nemo and Kubuntu has Dolphin (personally if I could be bothered I would choose Nemo as it also supports Dropbox).

The Cog
September 7th, 2014, 06:54 PM
Most file managers have an option to thumbnail files. The file manager I use (thunar) has options for Never, Local files only, or All files. I seem to remember that nautilus had similar options, although I read that the developers have been removing options recently so maybe it's not there any more. I see a number of people posting that they like pcmanfm so you may want to try those.

Your aggressive attitude may well have put a number of people off responding - it is probably more productive to stay calm and be clear about where you want help.

deadflowr
September 7th, 2014, 07:01 PM
Global Menu?
I have one with unity, do you?

Or open Appearance, then go to the behavior tab and look for the setting for menu.
Then change it to place menus in titlebar.

HermanAB
September 7th, 2014, 07:19 PM
The beauty of Linux is the ease with which one can install Free software. If you don't like Nautilus, then don't use it and install something else. I mostly use Dolphin or Thunar.

ntun111
September 7th, 2014, 07:50 PM
Here is an amateur video for File Preferences.

http://youtu.be/qtsiczEf72A