PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How can I run drivers?

dougiestyletone
September 5th, 2014, 02:47 AM
Recently purchased a wireless ac usb adaptor that was Linux compatible. Per the instructions, I downloaded the Linux driver from the website. This is where I loose it. What happens next? I get a file, that I open, but am given no option to "run program". Unllike Windows, I cannot use the CD that comes with the hardware to assist in loading the driver on the PC. Had to return the wireless adapter to Amazon. I must be missing something? :mad:

Dennis N
September 5th, 2014, 03:01 AM
It may work just by plugging it in. My usb wireless adapters do, and I never had to download and install drivers. Did you try that? Linux kernel comes with drivers for many devices.

deadflowr
September 5th, 2014, 06:37 AM
So you no longer have the adapter?

mastablasta
September 5th, 2014, 07:15 AM
in Linux, drivers are usually built into kernel. often drivers on internet are provided for those that use pure kernel and then would want to add specific drivers only.

so if you buy a USB adapter with Linux support then you usually just plug it in and it will work.

QIII
September 5th, 2014, 07:20 AM
Since you apparently sent it back, I highly recommend this (https://www.thinkpenguin.com/catalog/wireless-networking-gnulinux)outfit.

Maybe a bit spendy, but you can be sure they will work.