PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] update-grub and os-prober don't see Windows

lolzlolz2
September 5th, 2014, 12:32 AM
I haven't used Ubuntu in a longtime. I decided to install it again and wanted to use GRUB as my bootloader. I installed it with next to no problems and have it booting just fine with OS X; however, GRUB doesn't see Windows 7 installed on this machine. No problem, I thought...I'll just edit the grub config file. Well, things have changed since my last time with Ubuntu. I did some reading and discovered os-prober isn't seeing windows.

I've attached the relevant results of the bootinfoscript:

Boot Info Script 0.61 [1 April 2012]

============================= Boot Info Summary: ===============================

=> Windows is installed in the MBR of /dev/sda.

sda1: __________________________________________________ ________________________

File system: vfat
Boot sector type: Unknown
Boot sector info: According to the info in the boot sector, sda1 starts
at sector 0. But according to the info from fdisk,
sda1 starts at sector 40.
Operating System:
Boot files: /efi/ubuntu/grubx64.efi /efi/ubuntu/MokManager.efi
/efi/ubuntu/shimx64.efi

sda2: __________________________________________________ ________________________

File system: hfsplus
Boot sector type: -
Boot sector info:
Operating System:
Boot files:

sda3: __________________________________________________ ________________________

File system: hfsplus
Boot sector info:
Operating System:
Boot files:

sda4: __________________________________________________ ________________________

File system: ext4
Boot sector info:
Operating System: Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS
Boot files: /boot/grub/grub.cfg /etc/fstab

sda5: __________________________________________________ ________________________

File system: ntfs
Boot sector type: Windows Vista/7: NTFS
Boot sector info: No errors found in the Boot Parameter Block.
Operating System: Windows 7
Boot files: /bootmgr /Boot/BCD /Windows/System32/winload.exe

Why bootinfoscript clearly sees Windows on sda5 but doesn't see OS X and os-prober sees OS X fine but doesn't see Windows is beyond me...
Help anyone? :)

lolzlolz2
September 5th, 2014, 12:54 AM
I've decided to resolve this by using rEFInd.
It appears I was approaching the problem from the wrong direction in that, while it may be possible to use GRUB to boot into Windows this is adding an extra step (EFI to GRUB then to OS choice), whereas if I use rEFInd it will simply be EFI to OS Choice.

I'm still curious as to why os-prober wasn't seeing Windows; but, this will at least make things workable.

yancek
September 5th, 2014, 01:00 AM
That's a very incomplete output of the bootinfoscript, did you edit it? It does clearly show windows code in the master boot record, not Grub. It also shows that you seem to have Ubuntu installed as UEFI and sda1 is an EFI partition and the correct files are there. I don't use EFI but from everything I've read mixing an mbr install (windows) with your EFI install of Ubuntu causes problems. The bootinfoscript shows two Mac partitions hfs on sda2 and sda3.