PDA

View Full Version : E: dpkg was interuppted..I cant install packages after upgrade

bm143
September 4th, 2014, 10:58 PM
Hi everyone i recently uprgraded from ubuntu 12 to 14 but now i am having a problem installing packages. when i had ubuntu 12 i had downloaded alien to convert files i used the command
sudo apt-get install alien and it had installled just fine but after my upgrade i wasnt sure if i still had alien because the installation setup up said that some programs may be lost so i tried entering that same command to install alien again sudo apt-get install alien but then i get this error E: dpkg was interuppted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem
now what does this mean and how am i supposed to fix it. Why is my package not being installed? Do i have the package and there is some error I dont get it please help.
Also if i do have alien on my machine how do i check to see if i do have it to where is it downloaded to. thanks for your answers

grahammechanical
September 4th, 2014, 11:07 PM
Have you run?

sudo dpkg --configure -a

If you search for alien in the software centre then a green tick mark against alien will tell that it is installed.

Regards.