PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Aero Snap for Linux

kakashi_12
September 4th, 2014, 03:11 PM
Anyone know of an equipvelant for Linux? I've read that OpenBox will do the trick. But I can't figure it out.

vasa1
September 4th, 2014, 03:55 PM
Anyone know of an equipvelant for Linux? I've read that OpenBox will do the trick. But I can't figure it out.What exactly can't you figure out?

kakashi_12
September 5th, 2014, 03:03 AM
How to configure it.

vasa1
September 5th, 2014, 03:32 AM
Read https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/Windows#Reposition_and_Resize_Windows_Without_Usin g_a_Mouse
Read pclosmag.com/html/Issues/201107/page08.html

Openbox is for people willing to take some trouble setting things up.

kakashi_12
September 5th, 2014, 03:48 PM
Followed directions exactly, but it didn't work.
When I press the key combinations specified, nothing happens.

vasa1
September 5th, 2014, 03:56 PM
What is your operating system?
What is the output of lsb_release -a?
What is the output of env | grep XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP?
What is the output of echo $DESKTOP_SESSION?
Install wmctrl and then post the output of wmctrl -m.
Run ls /usr/share/xsessions and post that output here.
Run ls ~/.config | grep openbox and post that output here.

Please use code tags for each output.

vasa1
September 5th, 2014, 05:10 PM
BTW, if you prefer, Xubuntu also offers aerosnap, IIRC. You may find that more user-friendly.

kakashi_12
September 6th, 2014, 04:33 AM
What is your operating system?
What is the output of lsb_release -a?
What is the output of env | grep XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP?
What is the output of echo $DESKTOP_SESSION?
Install wmctrl and then post the output of wmctrl -m.
Run ls /usr/share/xsessions and post that output here.
Run ls ~/.config | grep openbox and post that output here.

Please use code tags for each output.

No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS
Release: 14.04
Codename: trusty

XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=Unity
Don't know why it says Unity, 'cause I actually use Metacity.

gnome-fallback

Name: Metacity
Class: N/A
PID: N/A
Window manager's "showing the desktop" mode: N/A

gnome.desktop gnome-fallback.desktop ubuntu.desktop
gnome-fallback-compiz.desktop openbox.desktop

openbox

vasa1
September 6th, 2014, 06:26 AM
Well, it looks like you have Openbox installed but it it isn't your window manager. You're using metacity.

Also, when you post code, please include the command so it's easy to tell what the output is related to.

vasa1
September 6th, 2014, 06:34 AM
If you want to run Openbox as your window manager (wm) instead of anything else, you need to run
openbox --replace or prevent any other wm from autostarting and have openbox autostart. I myself use Openbox with a distro, Lubuntu, that has Openbox as the only wm and so there's no confusion.

I'm not in a position to assist anyone who has multiple wms and wants to switch between them.

kakashi_12
September 6th, 2014, 12:57 PM
ok, how would I switch back if I wanted to leave that option open?

vasa1
September 6th, 2014, 02:48 PM
ok, how would I switch back if I wanted to leave that option open?
As I said, I don't have any experience in switching between window managers. Maybe someone who has such experience can help.

steeldriver
September 6th, 2014, 03:03 PM
... metacity also has a --replace option

man metacity

--replace
a window manager which is running is replaced by metacity.
Users are encouraged to change the GNOME window manager by run‐
ning the new WM with the --replace or -replace option, and sub‐
sequently saving the session.

Rob Sayer
September 7th, 2014, 03:49 PM
Installing openbox ... which you may not realize is an older and much more basic window manager than you have in unity ... just to simulate something like aero snap seems to me a very convoluted way to just enable snap top grid. You're just introducing a ton of complexity and potential problems that you won't be able frankly to fix without a lot of help.

And you're quite unlikely to be happy running the unity DE with openbox because it's a lightweight WM that doesn't have nearly the features metacity has. I strongly suspect you'll be more happy living without grid snap than all this bother.

I haven't used the unity DE version of ubuntu for a while so I don't know how snap to grid works there. But you must be able to do it more simply than this. Or maybe not. Actually KDE (kubuntu) does this automatically if you turn off all effects. I think. It's been a while since I configured it.

kakashi_12
September 7th, 2014, 09:31 PM
what types of features does metacity offer that this won't?

kakashi_12
September 8th, 2014, 03:31 PM
This seems to work pretty well for the most part!
I did the openbox replace command. And it immediately switched to the new Window Manager. Then I was able to "snap" windows left and right with no problem (since I editted the rc.xml file).
Problem is that when I close the terminal, it switches back to Metacity. And then Metacity is 'funked'. It looses the Title Bar.
Only way to fix it is to log out and log back in. Then Metacity comes back normal.
How do I get OpenBox to stay the default?
Cause when I enter the command, it does not go back to the normal 'prompt' where it shows your username. It goes to a blank line where you have to close or press Ctrl + C.

vasa1
September 8th, 2014, 03:52 PM
Just a guess but what happens if you try

openbox --replace & exit?

kakashi_12
September 8th, 2014, 04:08 PM
worked this time. Except after logging out and back in. Goes back to MetaCity.
Anyway to get it to stick? Or should I just make it a Start Up Application to make things easier. Unless there is a better way.

vasa1
September 8th, 2014, 04:19 PM
worked this time. Except after logging out and back in. Goes back to MetaCity.
Anyway to get it to stick? Or should I just make it a Start Up Application to make things easier. Unless there is a better way.
No idea :(

kakashi_12
September 8th, 2014, 04:34 PM
Only other problem I'm having is that when I switch to this Window Manager, some of my Keybindings are lost/reset. I had Ctrl + Left OR Right to Switch between workspaces. And now it's not working.

kakashi_12
September 8th, 2014, 04:51 PM
Ok, fixed that. Figured out that dconfig editor only applies to metacity. Or at least for certain keybindings.
I had to go back into the openbox config file in /home/.config/openbox.
Then add in the keybindings. then run
openbox --reconfigure
I found the approriate keybindings here

http://melp.nl/2011/01/10-must-have-key-and-mouse-binding-configs-in-openbox/
I used a C for Ctrl instead of W for Windows.

Also, made the script file in gedit. Then saved and made executable. Then put it in startup apps.

Anyone understand the difference between Desktop Environment and Window Manager? I just saw at login screen that OpenBox shows up as a DE now too.
Not sure if it works, and frankly don't want to mess with it 'cause it works just perfectly the way I want now so. I'll just leave it. But just wondered.

Thanks for your help!

kakashi_12
September 8th, 2014, 06:26 PM
Final Resolution:

01. Install OpenBox from Ubuntu Software Center.
02. open /$home/.config/openbox/rc.xml with gedit.
03. search for a line that has just
</keyboard>. Then, just above that line, paste in all the code from this url.
(https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/Windows#Reposition_and_Resize_Windows_Without_Usin g_a_Mouse)
05. Add keybindings in for OpenBox Window Manager to switch between workspaces...

<keybind key="C-Right"> <action name="DesktopRight"><wrap>no</wrap></action></keybind>
<keybind key="C-Left"> <action name="DesktopLeft"><wrap>no</wrap></action></keybind>
04. save and exit.
05. run
openbox --reconfigure
06. Open gedit and paste the text below. save and close.

openbox --replace & exit
07. make the file executable.
chmod +x filename
08. Go to Applications, System Tools, Preferences, Startup Applications. Then point to the file I created.
09. open gedit and past the text below. save and close.

metacity --replace
10. make the file executable.
chmod +x filename
11. Drag both of these script files (openbox and metacity) to the GNome panel so they can become Launchers.
Use these to easily switch back and forth between Window Managers when necessary.
12. Open the openbox config file back up again. Find the keybind to take a screenshot. Make sure it is set to use Control and Alt.
13. Find the keybind for W-Up. Change this so that y is 0 and height is 100%.
14. Save file and exit. Run the reconfigure cmd above.