PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] No screen after xubuntu 14.04 upgrade

LocoMotor101
September 4th, 2014, 02:16 PM
A few days ago I upgraded my old desktop computer from xubuntu 12.04 to 14.04. I did it online when the option to upgrade appeared on my screen. So, I proceede to upgrade, but when I rebooted the computer to start the 14.04 it all went black. I have no vga display at all, although it seems it is all working fine. If I press the turn off buttom, I can hear it is shutting down and it shuts down after a few seconds. So, it appears the problem is the vga output. Since I cannot see anything at all, and obviously cannot perform anything, is there a way a can return to 12.04 without having to erase everything on my hard-drive? I would not mind staying in 14.04, but if there is not way to do it then I need to get back to 12.04. Any help is greatly appreciated.

mörgæs
September 5th, 2014, 07:22 AM
How does it work in a live boot of 14.04.1?

LocoMotor101
September 5th, 2014, 05:08 PM
mörgæs (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=939075) Thank you for your response. Well, I do not know if it will work on a live boot, because I upgraded from the internet. So I do not have a CD. I assume it would work, because I can do live boots from other distros. But being an old computer xubuntu is the only one that works fine. I guess, I better download the iso and burn a CD to figure that out. Do you know if I can "restore" back to 12.04 with the CD? Thanks.

mörgæs
September 5th, 2014, 07:52 PM
Forget about 12.04. Go for 14.04.1, but you could consider Lubuntu if you want something faster than Xubuntu. If you pick the latter you need a USB stick or a DVD, as it is too big for a CD.

More info in the link in my signature.

LocoMotor101
September 6th, 2014, 07:10 PM
Thank you for your interest and recommendation mörgaes. I will wait for advice on how to recover. Thanks anyways.