PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Can't disable lid close suspend, suspend button does nothing

Sotai
September 4th, 2014, 03:47 AM
The lid settings in xfce4-power-manager seem to do nothing to change the lid close behavior.

note: Editing /etc/systemd/logind.conf disables lid close suspend, but when I close the lid I then get a blank (black) screen, and the xfpm lid close settings still do nothing anyway (don't lock the screen).

Also, the suspend button on the laptop does nothing in either case.

I upgraded from 12.04 and this all worked fine there, so it's some kind of regression.

Toz
September 5th, 2014, 01:40 AM
Hello and welcome to the forums.

The lid settings in xfce4-power-manager seem to do nothing to change the lid close behavior.
This is a known bug and should be fixed in the next version of Xubuntu (hopefully the changes will be back-ported to this version since its LTS). Its a result of the integration of components of systemd into the Ubuntu architecture but the version of xfce4-power-manager shipped not being updated to deal with it.

note: Editing /etc/systemd/logind.conf disables lid close suspend, but when I close the lid I then get a blank (black) screen, and the xfpm lid close settings still do nothing anyway (don't lock the screen).
The screen locking would be a function of the screen saver. Look at the light-locker settings in the Settings Manager to see if its set to lock the screen. Since you've upgraded, also make sure that you don't have 2 screensavers running (xscreensaver and light-locker). If you do, you should probably disable one as they are just going to get in each other's way.

Also, the suspend button on the laptop does nothing in either case.
The suspend keyboard button or the suspend menu item? Or both?

Sotai
September 7th, 2014, 11:47 PM
Hello and welcome to the forums.

This is a known bug and should be fixed in the next version of Xubuntu (hopefully the changes will be back-ported to this version since its LTS). Its a result of the integration of components of systemd into the Ubuntu architecture but the version of xfce4-power-manager shipped not being updated to deal with it.

Good to know. Thanks.

The screen locking would be a function of the screen saver. Look at the light-locker settings in the Settings Manager to see if its set to lock the screen. Since you've upgraded, also make sure that you don't have 2 screensavers running (xscreensaver and light-locker). If you do, you should probably disable one as they are just going to get in each other's way.

I have uninstalled xscreensaver. As far as the power manager, what I am talking about are the 'When laptop lid is closed' option. One of the selections is to lock the screen instead of suspend.

The suspend keyboard button or the suspend menu item? Or both?

The suspend menu item works. The keyboard button doesn't.