PDA

View Full Version : New Linux on Kickstarter promises traditional UI

motang
September 3rd, 2014, 11:29 PM
Operating System U (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/560448486/operating-system-u) promises a traditional UI, similar to Windows XP, they are going after the whole Windows XP crowd, and compare the their UI to Unity and Windows 8. My question is why? This can already be done with Xubuntu, heck Linix Mint Xfce comes out of box looking like what they want their distro to look like.

What are you guys' thoughts?

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
September 3rd, 2014, 11:47 PM
*reads chart comparing it to windows* (center square (https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/002/465/222/7ae63a6b6d82923934e76b0df184c3d4_large.jpg))
they have not used Windows in a while, most of the apps i used to use now have ads in them (utorrent for example)
i really don't see how it is different from mate version of mint
now if this person is planning to bring hardware to the mainstream market preinstalled with linux that is another story

grahammechanical
September 4th, 2014, 01:01 AM
One of the best parts about OS u is the fact that we based it off of a Linux derivative.

A Xubuntu re-spin? I wonder if they will be setting up their own software repositories or sucking off of the Ubuntu repositories?

QIII
September 4th, 2014, 01:22 AM
Lol. They plan to do tearing better...

mastablasta
September 4th, 2014, 07:08 AM
One of the best parts about OS u is the fact that we based it off of a Linux derivative.

why is that the best part? taking someone else's work rebranding it your own doesn't make you special.

as to why they would do that - why not - cheap laptop computers with their own preinstalled Linux. let's see how it goes.

sffvba[e0rt
September 4th, 2014, 08:37 AM
When I saw this on Kickstarter I was like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ then I was ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) and finally (╯︵╰,)

RichardET
September 4th, 2014, 10:47 AM
Operating System U (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/560448486/operating-system-u) promises a traditional UI, similar to Windows XP, they are going after the whole Windows XP crowd, and compare the their UI to Unity and Windows 8. My question is why? This can already be done with Xubuntu, heck Linix Mint Xfce comes out of box looking like what they want their distro to look like.

What are you guys' thoughts?

Andrew Bernstein from Short Hills, NJ! That's about 10 minutes from my son's house! His video skills are poor, but you have to give him credit; at least he's doing something other than listening to idiotic sports shows in the NYC market.

mastablasta
September 4th, 2014, 06:49 PM
A Xubuntu re-spin? I wonder if they will be setting up their own software repositories or sucking off of the Ubuntu repositories?

nope:

We look forward to continuously contributing back to the project we are based off of (Manjaro Linux), as well as the Linux community as a whole.
not sure if that is a good idea though...

Warpnow
September 5th, 2014, 08:46 AM
His BIO mentions that he is a 17 year old high school student. So he can't legally enter into contracts...I wonder what the various implications are of a CEO who can't legally be contractually obligated...

Personally, I don't trust my money to this project. No track record, no working prototype it seems like, no proof that they can follow through and deliver.

Plus..their goal is $50,000 but the laptop sales at $185*100 (max available to buy) is only $18,500.

The next tier up is $400 for one, which is higher than what they claim you'll be able to get it for after retail.

Poorly put together...

markodd
September 6th, 2014, 10:17 AM
It looks to me that he's after the money... Should've gone with much less than 50k though. This way he's not gonna see a dime..

buzzingrobot
September 6th, 2014, 08:52 PM
More power to 'em but is anyone actually writing any code over there?

A lot of mis-informed people seem to think patching together a new Linux distribution from packages made and hosted elsewhere and then de-branding and de-trademarking things is the same thing as creating a new OS.

If that's all that's going on, why ask for money?

EuclideanCoffee
September 6th, 2014, 10:54 PM
Interesting to see a young guy trying to get his name out there. I hope he and his team learn from this and grow afterwards. It's too bad he doesn't just contribute back to Linux though. :)

Steve_Guy
September 8th, 2014, 06:25 AM
Vaporware! As one who has a keen interest in funding platforms I have to say that in this case, teenage idealism should be encouraged and it must feel great to get money from folks for doing what you want to do. I wouldn't give him a penny though and I agree with points made by Buzz & Ruze - rebranding with minimal code isn't an o/s and no angle on re-contributing is somewhat selfish.

Still, ethics and money aside.....as well as variations on a theme......the transformation of ideas into holistic solutions for genuine benefit to us and the planet is something very interesting.

[I digress - just coming up on my first cup of real roast Java - and the sun is rising into a clear blue sky!]