PDA

View Full Version : What do I install on Acer 5100?

340six
September 3rd, 2014, 04:41 PM
last time i did it i used a bootable disk of Ubuntu 10.04.1
And will do the same again, get a bootbale disk sent to me but want to know what would be best to get.
Is an old Acer 5100
Would
Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTSBe Ok? Or would it use to much resources? Looking for something that will be easy on the resources I have avalible but still has Updates if needed Thanks

mörgæs
September 4th, 2014, 12:20 AM
Installing from USB is better than from CD/DVD.

You can always try Ubuntu but you might find X/Lubuntu a faster alternative.

fantab
September 4th, 2014, 12:26 PM
How much RAM does the machine have?
I'd go with Xubuntu if 2gb or less of RAM.
With Ubuntu only if I have more than 2gb.

340six
September 10th, 2014, 04:53 PM
How much RAM does the machine have?
I'd go with Xubuntu if 2gb or less of RAM.
With Ubuntu only if I have more than 2gb.
I think it is 2GB
Can not at this time get it to connect to in t Internet with windows
Has firefox but does not see anything to choose from
So no way to down load was thinking of getting a new OS from OSDisk.
what I am using now is an 8 year old desk to that is small and runs on the older Ubuntu 10.04 i installed with a disk years ago

fantab
September 11th, 2014, 08:28 AM
Ubuntu with comes with Unity needs more system 'resources' than Xubuntu with Xfce.
With 2gb RAM and if the cpu is fast enough, then you can easily run Ubuntu, but Xubuntu is faster.
On older or lowspec machines Xubuntu does well.

If you have a 10.04 disc then boot with 'Try Ubuntu before installing'.... connect to internet and download either Xubuntu or Ubuntu. 14.04 is the latest supported version.

mastablasta
September 11th, 2014, 04:08 PM
just go with Xubuntu. if it's running Ubuntu 10.04 well it will run Xubuntu well. If you want the old gnome you can install Mate desktop (fork of old Gnome). Not sure if it's worth it....

New Ubuntu needs strong GPU as well as enough RAM. if it has these then it runs well.