PDA

View Full Version : Kernel Upgrade

hoodbrothers2
September 1st, 2014, 10:05 PM
Hi all! I'm having a big problem with my wifi, it's been going on for about a month. Very low speeds, and frequent disconnects. I think upgrading the kernel could help, as I've read that it solves some networking problems. So, first question, am I up to date with my kernel version? I typed uname -r and it says I'm using 3.13.0-34-generic. Second question, which new kernel version is stable and will most likely solve my wifi issue? Third question, how do I install this new kernel version via USB, as I've got an extremely weak wifi signal? I would have to install it on a windows machine and use a USB to put it on my Linux machine. I think that 3.17 came out today, but if a different version is better please tell me. Thanks!

Vladlenin5000
September 2nd, 2014, 02:52 AM
You already have a thread about your WiFi and you were being helped by someone who really knows about this stuff.
Then suddently you decided to "close" the thread.
Then you came up with this one, cryptic as hell... Are we all supposed to read your previous posts just to get a glimpse of what the problem is (or might be)?

This ISN'T the way to go for support and my guess is you're really barking at the wrong tree with the kernel update. It would be MUCH better if you stayed in your other thread and ANSWERED the questions.

hoodbrothers2
September 3rd, 2014, 01:36 AM
Wow... I didn't think that it mattered soo much how I chose to solve my problems. I have tried several different things to get the wifi working and they haven't worked. Upgrading the kernel is what I want to do now, and all I'm asking is if someone can help me do that. If that doesn't work then I will move on to try something new. I didn't just close that other thread to start this one. No need to be so aggressive. So if anyone actually has any advice to help me upgrade the kernel via USB, please speak up. If you would like to read my other thread and make suggestions based off of that do so by all means. But I'm not expecting anyone to do that.

QIII
September 3rd, 2014, 02:01 AM
Hello!

Yes, it does matter. When you have a problem and abandon one thread to start another regarding the same issue, in this case your wifi, the help you were given in another thread may be needlessly rehashed by others. That causes duplicate effort to help you and squanders other users' time.

Please do not start separate threads dealing with the same issue.

Thread closed.