PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Lubuntu 14 install worked but now missing/black desktop

222fbj
August 31st, 2014, 03:55 PM
I have an old AMD64 system that has been running Lubuntu 12 for a few years. I tried to upgrade to 14 and now have a problem after this sequence of events:

I installed deja dup backup (a simple backup front end) and backed up the only user's home folder.
I tried using 'Upgrade to 14' button in the System Updates tool and it got as far as the 'configuring software' section where it hung while "preparing to configure libtelepathy-glib0".
I used unetbootin to create a usb stick to boot and install Lubuntu14 which wiped the old install.
The install options were chosen to create a user with autologin enabled; and then booted to the desktop successfully.
I used apt to install Chromium and a few other packages including deja dup (so I could restore the user home folder).
I ran deja dup restore which ran without errors and seemed to work fine.)
The Updates Available window appeared and I installed the available updates (about 60mb). I then used 'Restart Now' to finish the update process.
The system rebooted now I get solid black desktop with only the cursor showing.
I can right click to bring up the menu and launch terminal. I can launch pcmanfm from terminal. At this point I have a solid black screen with only the terminal window and pcmanfm windows visible. I used pcmanfm to browse user folders (desktop and a few others) and the restored items are there.
I tried using the right click menu to open Openbox settings but nothing appears.
I can also Logout which brings up the shutdown-logout menu. If I logout I get the login screen (with purple wavy wallpaper) and the login box.

Any ideas how I might fix this 'mising desktop' problem? I am hoping there are some commands I can run from the terminal window to provide more info on the problem and/or fix it. Thanks!

ibjsb4
August 31st, 2014, 10:15 PM
Got one thought.

Your getting right click>menu. Thats telling me your on a openbox session. At the login screen, can you change it to lubuntu?

222fbj
August 31st, 2014, 11:39 PM
Thanks!!! The Login Screen 'Lubuntu Netbook' option worked. From there I used Synaptic to install LXDE. Now I login with LXDE and it looks as I expected/wanted.

I don't understand why the Lubuntu image I used (lubuntu-14.04.1-desktop-amd64) would not install LXDE, or what happened to leave me with Openbox instead of LXDE. If someone could explain this I'd be interested.

Thanks