PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz -- activating Intel graphics drivers

cigtoxdoc
August 31st, 2014, 04:58 AM
I have just replaced the motherboard and processor in one of my desktop PCs with an Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz processor and MSI 7846 motherboard. I have downloaed and installed the latest version (06) on the Intel graphics drivers. However, I have yet to find a way to activate them. Synaptic shows that the drivers are installed except for intel-microcode. Additional drivers does not find the Intel drivers. What do I do next?

Thank you.

John

TheFu
August 31st, 2014, 05:24 AM
This isn't Windows. Use the package manager, Luke. ;)

Do not install graphics drivers outside the normal Ubuntu repositories. Going outside the package manager is asking for dependency issues at some point in the future - next month, next year. That means the system will become unpatchable.

So - I'd remove the package(s) installed and reboot. Then see if device manager offers a "proprietary driver" - if not, relax.

You can check which kernel modules are loaded with lsmod and using lshw -C video

cigtoxdoc
August 31st, 2014, 06:39 AM
Thank you for your reply. Information that you requested is attached.

John

JMB74
August 31st, 2014, 08:49 AM
Make sure that the package xserver-xorg-video-intel is installed

The Intel graphics installer from 01.org https://01.org/linuxgraphics/downloads/2014/intelr-graphics-installer-1.0.6-linux works just fine, and the packages are built for 14.04 and versioned in a way that should not interfere with upgrades.

The driver and card should be autodetected and loaded by X.

If not check if there is a /etc/X11/xorg.conf in existence.

If so, back it up then either remove or make sure it says:

Section "Device"
Identifier "Intel Graphics"
Driver "intel"
EndSection

Also make sure there is not another file in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/ that specifies a conflicting driver for Intel graphics.

cigtoxdoc
August 31st, 2014, 02:04 PM
Hello JMB74.

Thank you for your reply. xserver-xorg-video-intel is installed. There is no separate video card. Video is part of the i7-4770K processor. Supposedly Intel HD Graphics 4600. There is no /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. There is nothing in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d that specifies a video driver.

What is interesting is that the nouveau driver xserver-xorg-video-nouveau is installed,along with drivers for other video cards. I thought nouveau was only for nVidia cards? BTW, this was a clean install that supposedly wiped out everything else.

John

JMB74
August 31st, 2014, 02:18 PM
No, a clean install does drag in other video drivers. Can't remember the default set installed, but it is quite a few.

Linux should load drivers according to the hardware detected, so on a generic installation and in the kernel there are a wide set pre loaded to cover supported hardware.

1st thing I would try is creating an xorg.conf to see if that forces the activation of the intel driver when X loads?

There are some discussion lists for intel graphics somewhere that might be able to help if that doesn't work.

TheFu
August 31st, 2014, 02:36 PM
Thank you for your reply. Information that you requested is attached.

John

Sorry - I'm not going to view any PDFs. Too risky these days.

You can check which kernel modules are loaded with lsmod and using lshw -C video
The key part of this was that YOU can check it.
I thought intel drivers were included with the kernel. Let me check my intel running netbook - yep. Never installed anything related to video on this box.

$ sudo lshw -C video
*-display
description: VGA compatible controller
product: Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 2
bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
version: 09
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
resources: irq:59 memory:e0000000-e03fffff memory:d0000000-dfffffff ioport:1800(size=64)

$ lsmod|grep video
uvcvideo 80885 0
videobuf2_vmalloc 13216 1 uvcvideo
videobuf2_memops 13362 1 videobuf2_vmalloc
videobuf2_core 40664 1 uvcvideo
videodev 134688 2 uvcvideo,videobuf2_core
video 19476 1 i915
I didn't install anything extra.

BTW - there are almost 50 xserver-xorg-video-* packages installed. Most are not used. Just because a package is installed or has any config file, that doesn't mean it is being used.

JMB74
August 31st, 2014, 02:44 PM
I thought intel drivers were included with the kernel.

The intel backend DRM is, but the main 2d driver and 3d mesa is not, and is part system package selection.

A default ubuntu install should have everything needed to get a intel card working, but as always there can be glitches and exceptions.

cigtoxdoc
August 31st, 2014, 02:52 PM
Thank you. Here is the information you requested:

root@john-MS-7846:/home/john# lshw -C video
*-display
description: VGA compatible controller
product: Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 2
bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
version: 06
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
resources: irq:45 memory:f7800000-f7bfffff memory:e0000000-efffffff ioport:f000(size=64)

john@john-MS-7846:~$ lsmod|grep video
video 19476 1 i915

John

TheFu
August 31st, 2014, 03:38 PM
So - it looks to me like the same driver from my system is being used there.

What does:

/usr/lib/nux/unity_support_test -p
say?

cigtoxdoc
August 31st, 2014, 05:12 PM
Per your request

john@john-MS-7846:~$ /usr/lib/nux/unity_support_test -p
OpenGL vendor string: Intel Open Source Technology Center
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Haswell Desktop
OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 10.2.2

Not software rendered: yes
Not blacklisted: yes
GLX fbconfig: yes
GLX texture from pixmap: yes
GL npot or rect textures: yes
GL vertex program: yes
GL fragment program: yes
GL vertex buffer object: yes
GL framebuffer object: yes
GL version is 1.4+: yes

Unity 3D supported: yes

Not sure what this means.

Thank you,

John

cigtoxdoc
September 2nd, 2014, 12:12 AM
I took advantage of my Canonical support agreement to get help on this problem. First, and very important, the Intel/Harswell graphics are not considered to be third-party graphics such as nVidia and AMD/Radon and are fully supported by Canonical. Don't look for something under "Additional drivers" because they are part of the Linux kernel. Second, if you run /usr/lib/nux/unity_support_test -p, you should see something like I posted yesterday.

John