PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Have anyone tried making Xubuntu looking like Cinnamon?

Murong_Yao
August 31st, 2014, 04:06 AM
While I should applaud Linux Mint for Cinnamon in eye candy and desgin, its language support is pretty appalling.
Unlike Xubuntu or Ubuntu, language support in Linux Mint must be installed manually.
The question is: has anyone tried making Xubuntu looks like Linux Mint Cinnamon? XFCE already has the best windows border anwyay,

TheFu
August 31st, 2014, 05:28 AM
Why not just load Cinnamon on your Ubuntu system?
It isn't like the OS is the GUI. Try out 20-50 different GUIs with Ubuntu and use the one you like the most. Should take about 3-5 minutes to load an alternate GUI - many how-to articles on the internet for this.

The only caution is that different GUIs sometimes use the same libraries and the same setting files - so a different DE may break another one by modifying the settings files under ~/.config/ in a way DE-"a" doesn't like. For testing a new DE - best to use the Guest Account login until you fine one you like.

grahammechanical
August 31st, 2014, 11:28 AM
The purpose of Xubuntu is to make Ubuntu look like Xfce. Why would the developers want to do something different?

You could install Cinnamon on Xubuntu but Cinnamon would not suddenly get the depth of language support that comes with Xubuntu/Ubuntu. You would have Cinnamon as it is and not as it would be if there was an official Cinnabuntu flavour of Ubuntu.

http://www.webupd8.org/2014/06/new-cinnamon-stable-ubuntu-ppas-ubuntu.html

Regards.

buzzingrobot
August 31st, 2014, 01:39 PM
Design-wise, Xubuntu and Cinnamon are very similar. Both are panel-and-menu based. Their menus do look different, but in operation they are much the same. They use different panel applets and extensions, but the functionality overlaps.

Themes do differ, as well as how they handle virtual workspaces.

Rob Sayer
August 31st, 2014, 01:47 PM
Making XFCE like Cinnamon would involve installing something like compiz for the eye candy and a lot of themes. Which means you have a DE that's designed to be lightweight and fast and turn it into something that needs 3D acceleration just to run itself.

On top of that you're going to make the system more trouble prone, and the sort of users who know how to fix it frankly wouldn't have considered doing it in the first place.

In other words, it would be IMHO utterly ridiculous. There's a reason that lightweight DEs don't have eye candy.

TheFu
August 31st, 2014, 02:28 PM
On top of that you're going to make the system more trouble prone, and the sort of users who know how to fix it frankly wouldn't have considered doing it in the first place.

Well said - we all want more eye candy with zero extra costs or risks. That just isn't possible.

I spent time the last week trying to add 1-2 'cheese' GUI things to my plain openbox environment. I failed. Either it wouldn't work or system stability was an issue. Even tried using gnome3 to see if it was less intensive - it isn't - plus, it didn't provide the cheese I wanted. I'm back to plain openbox, no DE again. My keyboard shortcuts work again and the daily system lockups have stopped.

Am I disappointed? Sure, but reality matters more than my beliefs and wins every time.

Murong_Yao
September 1st, 2014, 01:53 AM
Well said - we all want more eye candy with zero extra costs or risks. That just isn't possible.

I spent time the last week trying to add 1-2 'cheese' GUI things to my plain openbox environment. I failed. Either it wouldn't work or system stability was an issue. Even tried using gnome3 to see if it was less intensive - it isn't - plus, it didn't provide the cheese I wanted. I'm back to plain openbox, no DE again. My keyboard shortcuts work again and the daily system lockups have stopped.

Am I disappointed? Sure, but reality matters more than my beliefs and wins every time.

Xubuntu isn't exactly designed for eye candies and all these jacks; back then, I had just 512 MB of RAM (I upgraded it to 2G, otherwise this computer will be unusable even with Lubuntu), and I usually disabled Compiz and Emerald even if they were there.
The surprise is that Xubuntu has the best Windows border of all environments; it just happens that the menu is relatively boring.
Unity is even more boring than XFCE, though.

vasa1
September 1st, 2014, 02:33 AM
Xubuntu isn't exactly designed for eye candies and all these jacks; back then, I had just 512 MB of RAM (I upgraded it to 2G, otherwise this computer will be unusable even with Lubuntu), and I usually disabled Compiz and Emerald even if they were there.
The surprise is that Xubuntu has the best Windows border of all environments; it just happens that the menu is relatively boring.
Unity is even more boring than XFCE, though.So what is this thread about? To make something do something it wasn't designed for?

coffeecat
September 1st, 2014, 08:33 AM
@Murong_Yao, you have posted in a technical support area. What exactly are you trying to achieve, theming Xubuntu to look like Cinnamon, or reproducing the appearance and functionality of the Cinnamon menu in Xubuntu, or both? If you state your objectives, people may be able to help you. If you wish to engage in yet another desktop comparison discussion, I'll move this thread to Recurring Discussions, where it can join the hundreds of similar desktop comparison discussions.