PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Ubuntu Software Center always freezes

fotcfanforums
August 30th, 2014, 10:03 PM
Hi guys. I just purchased a new PC which has Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and it was going quite well until I couldn't install programs. Just yesterday I tried to install VLC media player and that's when Ubuntu Software Center froze on me. I tried another thing to download and it froze again. Each time it freezes within seconds after I try to install a program.

I also tried to install VLC media player by using the terminal, but first I did these codes to do an update and upgrade:

sudo apt-get update
and

sudo apt-get upgrade

I get this error after a while when running the first one:

E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.

And the same happens right after entering the second code for the upgrade. What could the problem be? There's some programs I'd like to install soon, so any help would rock! :)

ThatBum
August 31st, 2014, 01:50 AM
There is a package half-installed, do as says and run sudo dpkg --configure -a to fix it it.

LostFarmer
August 31st, 2014, 02:01 AM
Depending on Internet speed , it can take a long time. When I first ran Ubuntu Software Center it took 10+ min to download its update package list, and it did look like not a thing was going on.

ThatBum
August 31st, 2014, 02:08 AM
Personally I don't use the Software Center anyway, it's been bloated and unstable in my experience. I usually use commands to get the job done, or Synaptic.

fotcfanforums
September 1st, 2014, 01:51 AM
There is a package half-installed, do as says and run sudo dpkg --configure -a to fix it it.

Thanks that worked.

By the way, is Synaptic package manager still around? I preferred that over USC.

ThatBum
September 1st, 2014, 04:00 AM
Yes, sudo apt-get install synaptic