PDA

View Full Version : Switching from Ubuntu to Xubuntu

mollie4168
August 30th, 2014, 01:40 AM
My computer is 6 years old and very slow. It's time for an OS upgrade (I'm running Ubuntu 12.04), and it seems like I should try Xubuntu while I'm at it. I saw this post (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2133354&highlight=ubuntu+to+xubuntu), and I'd like some guidance as to whether a clean install or using the instructions on the two psychocats links would be better for me. My understanding is that I could keep my programs and files if I go the psychocat route, yes? To me, it seemed like the author of the other post was more particular than I would be about what he could do in the OS, and so a fresh install made sense. I'm not a newbie, but I'm close to beginner-literate on linux.

QIII
August 30th, 2014, 01:49 AM
I know that about 18 months ago aysiu stepped back from trying to maintain all of the psychocats tutorials. People have to have lives. Aysiu was a real trooper.

So I don't know how up to date any of that is. Last I saw the instructions for most things applied up to 12.10.

I would opt for a fresh install, personally.

fantab
August 30th, 2014, 03:12 AM
12.04 is supported until April 2017. I'd keep it and keep it updated.
I'd create a new ext4 partition of about 20-30Gb and install the latest 14.04 Xubuntu to that partition.

In my personal experience I have found version 'upgrade' from update-manager to be messy.
I always do a clean fresh install. I keep my personal data on a separate partition. I just format the old '/' partition and install new Ubuntu to it.

vasa1
August 30th, 2014, 03:13 AM
I know that about 18 months ago aysiu stepped back from trying to maintain all of the psychocats tutorials. ...
I keep this link (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=416802&page=9&p=12695426#post12695426) handy.

I'm not sure what is meant by "I'm not a newbie, but I'm close to beginner-literate on linux." and so I'm +1 for a clean install.

grahammechanical
August 30th, 2014, 03:34 AM
It is easy to install an alternative desktop. Removing the alternative desktop is not so easy. Alternative desktops put their brand on the installation. The background colour behind the boot menu will change. The login screen background will change. Putting things back the way they were is not so easy.

Me? I would dual boot Ubuntu and Xubuntu. In fact that is what I have done with all the flavours. So, that I could try them out. I suggest dual booting Ubuntu 14.04 to try it out before upgrading.

Regards.

mollie4168
September 1st, 2014, 07:48 PM
Many thanks to all for your suggestions. I've taken on a few too many projects at the moment, but when I get back to this, I will do a clean install of Xubuntu.

What I meant by my statement was that I've been using Ubuntu for about 8 years, but my terminal knowledge is still fairly basic. I always mean to learn more, but I've yet to sit down and make that happen.