PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Why no information about 9/29/14 update?

Lance_Ryan
August 29th, 2014, 10:10 PM
Today (9/29/14) my software updater notified my there were updates. When I open the updater there is no information what so ever as to what the update is about in the "Technical Description" tab. This is not acceptible. Just because it says "security update" is not good enough. DON'T POST UPDATES WITHOUT THE INFORMATION!

Frogs Hair
August 29th, 2014, 10:50 PM
To find out what is to be installed use the details tab/menus in the software updater . To see a history open the software-center and select history.

grahammechanical
August 30th, 2014, 12:10 AM
Why are you shouting at us? None of us here are responsible for what you are complaining about. I do not think that shouting is acceptable on the Ubuntu user forum. It is not acceptable to shout at customer service personal in any case.

I, myself, have noticed that the Technical description panel is always blank until we select an item and then the Technical description panel is populated with information. Can you confirm that there was no technical information available even after you selected the item.

By the way, today's date is 29/08/2014 not 29/9/2014. Accuracy is important when making a complaint.

Lance_Ryan
August 30th, 2014, 12:15 AM
I posted there was nothing in the details tab/menus in the software updater. That's why I'm asking the question.

QIII
August 30th, 2014, 12:18 AM
All shouting about things like this should be done at Canonical employees who provide you with their product for free solely for the purpose of being shouted at.

None of us are Canonical employees, we volunteer our support for free and should not be shouted at in any case.

Thank you.

I posted there was nothing in the details tab/menus in the software updater. That's why I'm asking the question.

A question might have been more politely asked similar to the following:

"Does anyone know why?"

Shouting demands is somewhat less cordial than asking a question.

Lance_Ryan
August 30th, 2014, 12:21 AM
I'm not shouting at you, I'm shouting at who ever is in charge of doing Ubuntu update releases. Installing software you don't know anything about is unwise at best. How I choose to post the date is not your concern unless you manage the Ubuntu releases.

"I, myself, have noticed that the Technical description panel is always blank until we select an item and then the Technical description panel is populated with information. Can you confirm that there was no technical information available even after you selected the item."

Obviously...

QIII
August 30th, 2014, 12:31 AM
Shouting at them somewhere that they aren't is probably not going to be productive.

The point about the date is that the month is incorrect, not that the format is incorrect.

Again, the approach here would be to politely ask if anyone knows why you are seeing this.

I also suggest that a quip like "Obviously ..." is not likely to endear you to anyone (particularly the Staff) nor to garner helpful responses.

Take a breath and calm down.

Frogs Hair
August 30th, 2014, 01:37 AM
Kernel and other updates were visible in the software updater. There is a menu under the heading and on the theme I use the symbol is an > and when toggled down a list is displayed.

kansasnoob
August 30th, 2014, 02:15 AM
Today (9/29/14) my software updater notified my there were updates. When I open the updater there is no information what so ever as to what the update is about in the "Technical Description" tab. This is not acceptible. Just because it says "security update" is not good enough. DON'T POST UPDATES WITHOUT THE INFORMATION!

It's still August here ;)

LOOK AT THIS:

AS YOU CAN SEE THERE YOU HAVE TO SELECT AN ITEM (which highlighhts it) FOR THE DESCRIPTION TO APPEAR!!!!

Do you like being shouted at? Neither do we :(

uRock
August 30th, 2014, 02:33 AM
I'm not shouting at you, I'm shouting at who ever is in charge of doing Ubuntu update releases. Installing software you don't know anything about is unwise at best. How I choose to post the date is not your concern unless you manage the Ubuntu releases.

"I, myself, have noticed that the Technical description panel is always blank until we select an item and then the Technical description panel is populated with information. Can you confirm that there was no technical information available even after you selected the item."

Obviously...

So it does populate when you highlight the package?

Please post a screenshot of what you are seeing, unless you already let the unknown security updates install.

I never see the software updater on my machine, so I have no clue what it normally looks like, but the image would make things a lot easier.