PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Redirect to filename with variable

graylinux
August 28th, 2014, 01:13 PM
Hi

I have a bash/bin script in which there is a variable $path. I am trying to echo out to a filename containing the name held in $path. I have tried a dozen combinations of braces, quotes, double quotes etc etc but to no avail, the file does not get created. My latest attempt is below

echo [Desktop Entry] > "{$}HOME/Desktop/{$}path.desktop"

That is to say, I want to write the characters

[Desktop Entry]

into a variably named output file?

I'm trying to get to grips with BASH but I am still at the trial/error/parrot fashion stage ! :)

thanks

spjackson
August 28th, 2014, 01:22 PM
#!/bin/bash

path=fubar
echo "[Desktop Entry]" > "${HOME}/Desktop/${path}.desktop"

steeldriver
August 28th, 2014, 01:34 PM
Does the $path variable actually contain a path (directories separated by slashes), or just a filename? if the former, then the intermediate directories must exist

echo [Desktop Entry] > "$HOME/Desktop/$path.desktop"

The quotes around the target location are optional unless the path contains whitespace but it's good to get into the habit of including them. You'd most often see quotes around the text to be echoed as well:

echo "[Desktop Entry]" > "$HOME/Desktop/$path.desktop"

You could also use single quotes around the text but not around the target since they cause whatever's inside them to be treated literally i.e. prevent variable expansion

echo '[Desktop Entry]' > "$HOME/Desktop/$path.desktop"

graylinux
August 28th, 2014, 01:52 PM
Got it!

Thanks so much to you both!..... It was a combination of my /dollars/quotes/braces and, as you say, my path had a 'rogue' directory in it!

Cheers