PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] LXDE not installed, still available as DE option?

leepe
August 27th, 2014, 07:52 PM
Hello,

I booted up by Ubuntu pc for the first time in a couple months the other day, and noticed that LXDE was installed. I wanted to get rid of it, so I opened up a terminal and punched in
sudo apt-get remove lxde
but the command returned that lxde was not installed. For good measure, I also tried
sudo apt-get remove lubuntu-desktop but the command returned that that wasn't installed either. I tried running apt-get update and then apt-get upgrade, then trying commands above again, but still the same message. I know LXDE is installed because its available as an option when get to the login screen. I can boot into LXDE and it works fine. I'm on 14.04 LTS. What's going on?

BazBear
August 27th, 2014, 08:27 PM
Odd. Did you try removing it using Synaptic?

leepe
August 27th, 2014, 08:33 PM
Not yet. Would that make a difference?

BazBear
August 27th, 2014, 08:41 PM
Maybe not. I just looked through my Synaptic list, and the LXDE meta package isn't installed on this machine either, even though it's originally a Lubuntu installation, and LXDE is the only DE I have on here at the moment. I (apparently) have all the LX packages that go with it though (LXpanel, LXtask, etc. etc.).

leepe
August 27th, 2014, 08:56 PM
Hmm. I don't think mine is lubuntu originally. I checked the version with a command I found the other day and it returned ubuntu. I'll try with synaptic when i get back, and I'll post back with results.

sisco311
August 27th, 2014, 09:11 PM
lxde and lubuntu-desktop are metapackages. Removing them will not remove their dependencies.

Which version/flavour of Ubuntu are you using and how did you install lxde?

BazBear
August 27th, 2014, 10:23 PM
lxde and lubuntu-desktop are metapackages. Removing them will not remove their dependencies.

Which version/flavour of Ubuntu are you using and how did you install lxde?
Ah, Lubuntu-core is the meta package on my instalation, thanks for pointing this out. Not that I plan to uninstall it, but this may help romain_astie2, so thanks!

leepe
August 27th, 2014, 11:32 PM
still stuck!
apparently lubuntu-core is not installed. I'm using ubuntu 14.04. Not lubuntu, just ubuntu as far as i can remember. I installed lxde through just a standard apt-get command. So confused!

leepe
August 28th, 2014, 12:32 AM
doesn't matter. I'm reinstalling with xubuntu right now, as xfce is my DE of choice anyway. thanks for the support!