PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] installing to 32b hardware from 64b image?

kurja
August 27th, 2014, 07:26 PM
I was asked about installing Ubuntu on an old pc (to serve as an audio recording machine), and proceeded to download Ubuntu Studio... when I realized that I don't know if it's a 64 bit capable machine. I don't have the hardware at hand and the guy who has it probably wouldn't know. What happens if a 64 bit install media is used on a 32 bit machine? Will it automagically work anyway, refuse to install, catch fire, crash, something else..?

sudodus
August 27th, 2014, 07:39 PM
In 32-bit computer a 64-bit system will not boot, not install, nothing except maybe a very early check and a message, that it does not work. I would recommend 32-bit systems for old and also some 'middle-aged' computers, particularly if there is low RAM (less than 2 GB
).

Bashing-om
August 27th, 2014, 07:42 PM
kurja; Hello ;

In that case the installer will just puke, and will not install .. no harm done,
The addressing is different for all the memory and hardware, thus all software is incompatible.

However, 32 bit on 64 bit hardware is just fine, maybe just dandy with say 2 Gigs of memory, as addressing is faster the machine will be that tad bit faster.

my bit to try and help

kurja
August 27th, 2014, 07:44 PM
Thought so. Well, I guess there's really not much if anything to gain with 64b on an old computer anyway even if it did support it. 32 bits it is, then!!!