PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] XFCE looks so basic, want to make it like Xubuntu screenshot!

kamhagh
August 27th, 2014, 05:48 PM
my XFCE is so basic and looks like win98, ! i want to make it like this:
http://xubuntu.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/trusty_whiskermenu.png

how can i make it like this, i searched net , i couldn't find what to do ! i just did sudo apt-get install xfce4!

sorry ! but i couldn't figure it out :(

slickymaster
August 27th, 2014, 05:51 PM
As Whiskermenu is now the default menu in Xubuntu, you can swap out the old application menu with it. Just right click the top panel and navigate to Panel > Add New Items, then select “Whisker Menu” and click “Add”.
After that, and to remove the old application menu, just right click on its icon and choose the “Remove” option.

kamhagh
August 27th, 2014, 05:53 PM
thanks :) im gonna change color too so it looks good+ let me google that wallpaper it looks cool :) thanks

i will also try to make window colors same :)

slickymaster
August 27th, 2014, 05:59 PM
thanks :) im gonna change color too so it looks good+ let me google that wallpaper it looks cool :) thanks

i will also try to make window colors same :)

That is the default wallpaper for Xubuntu, you already have it in your system in the /usr/share/xfce4/backdrops/ directory.

kamhagh
August 27th, 2014, 06:12 PM
theres no folder name backdrops, i have ubuntu, i installed it with apt-get install xfce4 if that helps!

sisco311
August 27th, 2014, 06:12 PM
If you don't mind installing some extra packages, then you could install xubuntu-default-settings, which contains the default settings for Xubuntu. It will also install the xubuntu-artwork package which contains the Xubuntu themes and artwork. Once installed, you can select Xubuntu session at the login screen.

For a full Xubuntu experience, you will have to install xubuntu-desktop, a meta-package which depends on all of the packages in the Xubuntu desktop system, including abiword, bluez, evince, gimp, mousepad, pidgin, xchat and much more.

kamhagh
August 27th, 2014, 06:18 PM
i might put it to download tonight, when i installed a kubuntu-desktop package it made my whole system like i installed kubuntu ! even the splash screen and ect, so i tought its better not to do that, but for my fathers laptop im downloading xubuntu to see if it can run it(i heard its lightweight!) if i liked it there i will get it for mine own pc, its smooth and cool :D i kinda like it :) (im downloading i326 one, It's for my fathers laptop, its a slow stupid 32bit vaio VGN-P530N ! , if i liked it simply i get xubuntu-desktop!)

edit: its so small, im downloading the xubuntu-default-settings!

kamhagh
August 27th, 2014, 06:30 PM
ok i did it,i still have applications menu ! and the top bar isn't transparent so it the bottom, im doing it manually now ! also i have applications menu

and theres no item names Whisker!

sisco311
August 27th, 2014, 06:37 PM
After installing the package, did you log out and select Xubuntu session at the login screen?

kamhagh
August 27th, 2014, 06:42 PM
woops, i tought i did,i did it now, i have app meny and non transparent top panel let me reset setting and do it !

still no whisk let me reboot

sisco311
August 27th, 2014, 06:45 PM
Oh, for the whisker menu you have to install xfce4-whiskermenu-plugin.

kamhagh
August 27th, 2014, 08:09 PM
i will just get the xubuntu-desktop, i got the splash screen anyway :S is it revertable without deleting the whole xubuntu i downloaded?!

sisco311
August 27th, 2014, 08:12 PM
To select the graphical splash screen, run:

sudo update-alternatives --config default.plymouth

The text based splash screen will only show when graphics is not available. You can set the default one with:

sudo update-alternatives --config text.plymouth

After changing the splash screen you have to update the initramfs:

sudo update-initramfs -u

kamhagh
August 27th, 2014, 08:17 PM
thanks a lot :D i love this now, i didn't realize the top was transparent :D now everything fine expect i accidentally removed launch bar :D i didn't need it anyway, i will make one myself if i needed it!

i will google a plugin for showing network status, and also which workspace i am on!

kamhagh
August 28th, 2014, 03:34 PM
this is awesome ! im looking xfce as my everday DE :D but anyway, my adventure isn't over yet :D im gonna try other stuff :P

kamhagh
August 28th, 2014, 05:12 PM
i dont want to make another thread for this, but:( i kinda screwed my themes again

i loged into KDE to try something, i went back and saw all my apps now have KDE theme in XFCE ! so i went and deleted .KDE folder and still it was there after some google search i did some stuff, and rebooted , now my XFCE was like, white, not the default theme, i tried many thigns its still like that, the theme is different it bothers me because text doesn't match the theme ! and it looks stupid

also my unity is white now :S my old apps look diffrent ! how can i restore All my DE settings to default ?:(

edit: my kde is also now white and has blue shade, the wallpaper is now debian icon !

edit: i fixed it by re entering KDE and restoring the old setting and going to unity this time only deleting the .gtrc-2.0 file ! if anyone has same probem this fixed it and now everything looks awesome like always xD

lintuxer
October 14th, 2014, 02:22 PM
Hi kamhagh,

I think what you want to do is this:
http://www.slideshare.net/LinuxThemer/xubuntu-with-a-pure-debian-base-from-scratch