PDA

View Full Version : Upgraded to Lubuntu 14.04 - Now Login is Broken

redbikemaster
August 27th, 2014, 04:10 AM
I recently upgraded from Lubuntu 12.10 to 13.10 using

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

After this, the login screen wouldn't come up. It would flash the background and the mouse, then the screen would go black and stay black. After searching for hours, I decided to try upgrading again to 14.04 to see if that would fix it. It didn't.

I used

sudo apt-get do-release-upgrade

To upgrade to 14.04. I get a login screen now, but if I try to login, the screen tears then freezes. The mouse is the only thing working. I can switch to another runtime, however.

Please help, as I need this laptop for school tomorrow morning for my web development class! My only other option is to use my Samsung Galaxy to program, which isn't fun at all.

grahammechanical
August 27th, 2014, 04:40 AM
First of all the command dist-upgrade does not upgrade from one version of Ubuntu to the next version of Ubuntu. It does a smart upgrade of the existing version of Ubuntu.

Second, we cannot go from Ubuntu 12.10 to 13.10. We would have to go to Ubuntu 13.04 first.

Third, 12.10; 13.04 and now 13.10 have all reached end of life.

So, I really do not know what version of Ubuntu you now have but I doubt that it is 14.04.

My suggestion is to try Recovery Mode from the Grub boot menu. Then at the Recovery menu select Resume. That may get you to a working desktop using an open source video driver. If you get to a desktop then use Additional Drivers to activate an open source video driver or experiment with other proprietary video drivers.

The Recovery menu will also give us Network which will establish a network (internet) connection and Root which will take us to a root shell prompt. There we can run these commands to identify the version of Ubuntu.

lsb_release -a
uname -a

And these commands to update the system. Note any error messages. They might identify broken packages that are causing this problem.

apt-get update
apt-get upgrade

To get back to the recovery menu from the root shell prompt type exit.

Regards.

redbikemaster
August 27th, 2014, 04:46 AM
I watched it upgrade from 12.10 to 13.10. If I type

lsb_release -a

I get 14.04 LTS 'trusty' as a result. All the apt-get commands have been run with no resulting errors multiple times.

redbikemaster
August 27th, 2014, 04:47 AM
I realize they were EOL, that's what started this epic in the first place.

ibjsb4
August 27th, 2014, 04:59 AM
I recently upgraded from Lubuntu 12.10 to 13.10 using

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

"apt-get dist-upgrade" does not perform distribution upgrade. See

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AptGet/Howto#Maintenance_commands

redbikemaster
August 27th, 2014, 05:14 AM
Then I have a couple questions more. Why does it say '14.04'? How do I fix this?

ibjsb4
August 27th, 2014, 07:35 AM
Why does it say '14.04'?
Thats a good question since you used another bogas command to get there.

I used

sudo apt-get do-release-upgrade

To upgrade to 14.04.

Rob Sayer
August 27th, 2014, 02:27 PM
I do a clean reinstall rather than upgrade now, and my advice to the OP to clean up this mess is to back up his/her data and do the same. I've reinstalled for less.