PDA

View Full Version : Begin teaching Linux (specifically Xubuntu)

Tristan_Williams
August 27th, 2014, 12:37 AM
I have a lot of friends and acquaintances that know me as "The computer guy"
They start to ask questions when I pull out my laptop running Xubuntu, because it doesn't look like what they're used to.

10-15 of them are wanting me to teach them about Linux, and how to start using Xubuntu.

So I thought it would be cool to have an actual class, with lessons, practicing, and so on.

I just have no idea what to cover.
Could you guys help with designing a general class schedule?
I just need to know what I need to teach in order for them to be able to go on their own. Maybe a list or order of particular subjects.

mikewhatever
August 27th, 2014, 01:11 AM
You could use Ubuntu manual as tetmplate.

Tristan_Williams
August 27th, 2014, 02:06 AM
You could use Ubuntu manual as tetmplate.

It wouldn't be that bad of an idea to write an Xubuntu-specific version of the Ubuntu manual.
Thanks

ian-weisser
August 27th, 2014, 03:42 PM
An "actual class" might suck some of the fun of discovery out of it.
People like to explore and discover.

You could make it activity-based, or even a scavenger hunt. "Here's a a usb stick. Boot from it. Click 'Try Xubuntu'. Go to this website when you are up and running for your next clue."

Use small groups working together to accomplish each activity - teaching each other has better retention than a lecture. It means you can drift around and coach and hand out beer instead of holding their hand.

stalkingwolf
August 27th, 2014, 04:13 PM
i have installed mint13 mate for several kids, 12 and under . I show them where to find things ( i use the old apps places system menu). then turn them loose. not one has come back for help. they find things i didnt know about.

One thing about it, what ever you decide there will always be infinite possibilities.

mastablasta
August 28th, 2014, 09:34 AM
but as a program really Ubuntu manual (it's actually more than just a manual...) and then maybe add some CLI to spice it up and to see what can be done outside of GUI.

slickymaster
August 28th, 2014, 10:13 AM
It wouldn't be that bad of an idea to write an Xubuntu-specific version of the Ubuntu manual.
Thanks

There's no need for you to do it, it already exists. The official Xubuntu documentation is available for supported releases at http://docs.xubuntu.org/. The documentation is also shipped with every release of Xubuntu.

Old_Grey_Wolf
August 28th, 2014, 09:10 PM
Are you intending to show them how to install it and use it after it is installed, or just how to use it after it is installed by someone else? It makes a difference in what and how you may teach the subject. Installing could be very different depending on the hardware configuration.

slickymaster's post would be an excellent source for information.

Tristan_Williams
August 29th, 2014, 02:51 AM
Are you intending to show them how to install it and use it after it is installed, or just how to use it after it is installed by someone else?

I was planning on teaching them the basics of using it, then go back and teach them how to install it.
It wouldn't make much sense to them installing it for the first time and not knowing, for instance, why they are setting up partitions a certain way, or why they do or do not want to set up lvm

Dragonbite
August 29th, 2014, 03:51 PM
Sounds like a good thing to do, and good idea outlining it beforehand.

You probably want to give them "enough rope to hang themselves with" ;) Once they have the basics, then it is up to them to explore and learn on their own.

What is Linux, open source and how does it differ from Windows/OS X?
What is a Live USB?
How do you start (run) it?
What are the parts of the screen?
Run through common settings
connecting to network
startup system
shutdown and reboot system
open and use launcher menu, setting users)
updates

Run through common changes
additional panel
change background
moving things around
putting icons on panel or desktop
preferred applications

Run through common applications
web browser
office apps
games, files
networked files
whatever they currently use

Run through common additional bits-and-pieces
Flash
music
video
DVD
Java (if there is a need like for Minecraft for instance)
finding and installing programs (Repository, PPA and difference between .deb, .rpm and .exe)

Where to get assistance and further information (Google, Ubuntu Forums, wiki, etc.)

And make sure if you put together some documentation, that you share it ;) Even if you just make a Wiki page to start gathering information.

Also, it would not hurt to give them a printed hand-out (or include a PDF of it on their Live USB) they could refer to (bonus points if you include your contact information so they know where to go when they "just don't get it").

WinEunuchs2Unix
September 8th, 2014, 01:09 AM
An "actual class" might suck some of the fun of discovery out of it.
People like to explore and discover.

You could make it activity-based, or even a scavenger hunt. "Here's a a usb stick. Boot from it. Click 'Try Xubuntu'. Go to this website when you are up and running for your next clue."

Use small groups working together to accomplish each activity - teaching each other has better retention than a lecture. It means you can drift around and coach and hand out beer instead of holding their hand.

Having bought a used LT yesterday and researching it today begs the question: Doesn't Windows 8 secure boot (using UEFI?) prevent people from booting a USB stick / Flash Drive / Pen Drive / Thumb drive these days?

WinEunuchs2Unix
September 8th, 2014, 01:16 AM
If one was serious about teaching Linux I would look at the many on-line universities and colleges to see how they are set up. Instead of 10 or 15 friends you could end up with 10 to 15 thousand students. Additionally if course credit was given you would have professor status and 6 figure income.

As far as course content that is up to you: X org basics, different distributions overview, programming (OUCH), multi-media, hardware configuration *waves to Nvidia*, migrating from Windows to LINUX, migrating from Apple to LINUX, kernel configuring, grub, conky, lshw, lspci, lsusb, iwconfig, ifconfig, xorg config, udev config, etc, etc.

Whatever you do I hope you have FUN :)

Pelvur
September 10th, 2014, 09:49 AM
If these guys are not familiar with Linux as such, it might be good idea to start from there. There is "Introduction to Linux" web-based training at edX. It is free, and seems to be quite well done (I'm in the process of going through it right now).

https://www.edx.org/course/linuxfoundationx/linuxfoundationx-lfs101x-introduction-1621

ventrical
September 16th, 2014, 01:20 PM
I was planning on teaching them the basics of using it, then go back and teach them how to install it.
It wouldn't make much sense to them installing it for the first time and not knowing, for instance, why they are setting up partitions a certain way, or why they do or do not want to set up lvm

You would get some good training in Ubuntu Development. There, one can harden themselves to become a good migration assistant. This is what I do. I walk my old Microsoft clients through the installation process. I do it one on one.

As for classes, ubuntuforums is a university in and of itself. Migration is probably where the most guidance is needed to a single person or groups of person. The rest kind of falls into place. Learning Ubuntu depends greatly on one's willingness to learn. All the answers are here and so is the help.

Regards..

Bucky Ball
September 16th, 2014, 02:00 PM
You'll have more success if you base your classes around what the students want to know rather than what you, or I, think they should know.

Good idea to have a preliminary meeting with all interested parties and bat around a few ideas, ask them what they would like to have some clues on. Scribble down the main points and areas of interest, research them using the many online Ubuntu teaching resources, and work out a 10 or 12 week (or however long suits) plan of action based around the results of that initial meeting. Massage as required as a result of regular discourse throughout the 'semester'. New things will no doubt arise ...

My two cents. Good luck. ;)

AstroLlama
September 17th, 2014, 05:53 PM
Teach them how to read man pages and search / ask for help in the forums.

mikewhatever
September 19th, 2014, 12:43 PM
Teach them how to read man pages and search / ask for help in the forums.

Interesting idea, especially considering how many people want to see man pages, or use the terminal.

EngieOP
September 23rd, 2014, 05:48 PM
Interesting idea, especially considering how many people want to see man pages, or use the terminal.

Man is most important, Google is the second.
Prof. Li Yinong