PDA

View Full Version : Trying out Evolution and suprised

Cliff_Simonds
August 26th, 2014, 03:42 PM
Last night I installed Evolution to try it out again, main reason being the calendar desktop intergration and NO add-ons like Thunderbird & Lightning (add-ons are always a security threat...Might as well create a JAVA OS... Just Another Virus Attack :p).
I must say, I was pleasently suprised how fast the set up went. I tried it out a couple of years ago and it was buggy as all get-up. Now It took me all of 15 minutes to set my two accounts up and import my Google calendar (so I have the dates an German holidays off-line). After work today I fine tuned all my settings, and it's working perfectly now. I'll still keep Thunderbird a couple of weeks alongside until I'm sure I'm saticfied with it though.
As a side note what I also like is Evolution takes on my system theme(Delorean-Dark with Humanity dark-blue icons) very well. With Thunderbird I had to use TT Deep Dark add-on or else It looked crappy with system theme(some things were almost unreadable.

Cliff_Simonds
August 29th, 2014, 03:48 PM
Still trying evolution out. It downloads a whole lot faster than Thunderbird and the calander is just as good as lightning if not even better. But...Thunderbird has alot more options for writing a professional or business mail that I can see. I can't decide yet which one to keep. Maybe I'll just keep both of them, and use Evolution for every day use, they don't use much disk space.

ian-weisser
August 29th, 2014, 05:29 PM
I've been using Evolution regularly for nine years. It has had it's ups and downs, it's issues and incompatibilities.
But the 14.04 version works fast and smooth, and is well-integrated with Unity.

Finally getting dbus support has been a huge improvement for Evolution.

Cliff_Simonds
August 29th, 2014, 07:14 PM
I must say, it's download times and time it needs to check my 2 accounts is beyond amazing. It's the fatest client I've ever used. What they say here in Germany "Blitz Schnell" (lightning fast). Like I said before it's great for every day use. Ian you say you've used 9 years, maybe I should have given it more of a chance a couple years ago. Something I've learned in the last couple of years too is anything that conects to the internet and has too many bells and whistles can be a security issue and will slow down my prepaid mobile broadband and eat up the euros. And yes the dbus support rocks:guitar:!

VE6EFR
August 29th, 2014, 08:21 PM
After reading through this thread I have decided to give it another try. I used it a few years ago but ended up going back to Thunderbird for various reasons. But after installing, I am impressed. Works well with google contacts and calendar with a minimum of fuss.

Jonor
August 29th, 2014, 08:42 PM
It looks much more promising than previous visits over the last 5 years, the layout has definitely improved.
Problem is trying to look at it through Gnome DE which is a tad buggy right now on my box.
The account password window sometimes shows up an hour or two after opening Evolution. :p

Cliff_Simonds
August 30th, 2014, 02:34 AM
The account password window sometimes shows up an hour or two after opening Evolution. :p
For me it's asking for keyring, but only after the first time opening after boot, but I know that's because I boot directly to my desktop skipping the login screen. That's the "price" for security, Programs that store & have personal information or make system changes will make me "pay" for that short cut by reminding me, and that's good so.