PDA

View Full Version : Linux Certification

hellmet
July 27th, 2006, 07:05 PM
Dear All,
I am planning to make a career out of Linux.
I need to get a Linux certification.
Please lemme know the procedures..
and training required to get certified,
and if I wud be able to train myself.

Unlike following the herd, I want to
do what I want.
The other day I went to NIIT asking
them if they had programs for Linux.
They said, " No ones' getting enrolled for Linux,
and by the way JAVA and .NET is the future,
what will u do in limiting yourself to Linux"

WTH..I want to do what I like..not what
earns me more bread...without the
satification of doing a gud job.

Please give me ur ideas people.

thanks
-sanjay

Mathiasdm
July 27th, 2006, 07:10 PM
I believe the RedHat certifications are pretty good (translation: pretty tough).

But you'd do better to get a bachelor/master, they're valued higher than certifications. Or at least, that's what I hear.

What do you know/have right now?

hellmet
July 27th, 2006, 08:28 PM
currently i have a B.Tech(call it B.E) in Computer Science
That is Bachelor of Technlogy in CS.

hellmet
July 28th, 2006, 04:57 AM
any help guys??

agger
July 28th, 2006, 07:15 AM
Maybe people don't respond quickly because they don't know a lot about it.

I personally would think professional experience counts more than a certification once your basic exam (which you have) is done.

That being said, there actually exists a certification as Ubuntu Certified Professional:

http://www.ubuntu.com/partners/certification/pro

As Ubuntu is becoming a very popular and useful distro, that might be an easy way to demonstrate basic knowledge of Ubuntu and other Debian-based distros.

zaratustra
July 28th, 2006, 09:07 AM
Sorry for OT, but do you like to code in .NET?

I code Win Forms in C# and I feel like I'm an instant coder, like I'm writing a book, a not code. Can't explain it well, but I just hate it. I like C and C++ way more without any pre-built classes or anything...

moma
July 28th, 2006, 09:14 AM
Here's a random collection of LPI related links
http://www.itavisen.no/services/phorum/showTopic.php?postId=192440

Let the LPI... (http://www.lpi.org/) site be your starting point
http://www.lpi.org/da/lpic.html

Do you have LPI test centers in your country?

bluevoodoo1
July 28th, 2006, 03:55 PM
There's also the CompTIA Linux+ certification.

http://certification.comptia.org/linux/

djsroknrol
July 28th, 2006, 05:47 PM
Hellmet..

I was brousing the other night and came across this (http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/training/)..You might check it out..it has alot of useful things in it...

hellmet
September 8th, 2006, 06:07 PM
sorry for not replying folks...
@zara...I don't like anything MS.

Cool links...
gng thru them...
I'd prefer Ubuntu Certification..i Guess..

hellmet
February 10th, 2007, 06:57 PM
Does anyone know what exams I'd have to clear before trying for
the Ubuntu Certification? If I have to clear both 101, 102 of LPI,
and then write Ubuntu's Exam, I'll be doomed. Coz, that'd be
150+150+100$ = a whopping 400$. I'd never be able to afford that
for years to come..

mips
February 11th, 2007, 11:22 AM
Does anyone know what exams I'd have to clear before trying for
the Ubuntu Certification? If I have to clear both 101, 102 of LPI,
and then write Ubuntu's Exam, I'll be doomed. Coz, that'd be
150+150+100$ = a whopping 400$. I'd never be able to afford that
for years to come..

You will have to pass the exams for the LPIC-1 certification level which are exams 101 & 102.

The above is a prerequisite for the Ubuntu Certified Professional certification.

Nothing wrong with doing the LPIC-1 first as it is a certification in it's own right. I don't think the UCP cert is such a big requirement in business at this stage as it's market penetration in a commercial env. is not as high as some other linux distros just yet.

Another option might be to check whether there are any Beta exams available from Prometric for the LPI etc. i know that with Cisco certs if you took a Beta exam it is/was for free.

timmay
February 12th, 2007, 12:49 AM
Cool someone else looking at Ubuntu/Linux Certification.

I was looking today as I really need to further my Eduction so that I can get a 'better' job. I keep thinking that I should do a MCSE or/and MCSA but as I hate M$ Windows I'd only be doing that to get a job. Whereas I'd do the LPIC-1 and UCP because I'm interested in it.

I've been looking at what Computeach (http://www.computeach.co.uk) offer and would also be interested in the LAMP course.

Anyone had any experience with Computeach? Anyone know whether this type of qualifications will make it easier to get a well paid job or will I end up with meaningless qualifications because I don't have x years of experience.

Fascination
February 14th, 2007, 03:55 PM
Thankfully, my company are happy to pay for my exams :) If you work for an IT based company, its worth asking to see if they do have some scheme for training, even if its only a discount it still helps! :)

michaelliberty
May 3rd, 2007, 04:41 AM
I would much prefer the Linux General Certifications, e.g. LPIC/CompTIA as whilst UCP/RHCE would have a lot of cross distribution elements, they are partially locking you in.

What I would be interested in is a UCP for people who have a LPIC or CompTIA or RHCE, etc. so you could get your general certification, and then "top up" with distribution specific training.

mips
May 3rd, 2007, 04:19 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=2077879&postcount=6

hellmet
May 28th, 2007, 09:46 AM
Lack of choice has kinda forced me into RHCE. I'm undergng training for Redhat and there seem to be quite some differences between ubuntu and redhat regarding the command syntax. During the training period, what I noticed was that people were still very very new to Linux. Even the teacher, who apparently just got thru the RHCE , without actually being passionate about it, knew nothing about the latest distros, and when I handed him the cd, he was amazed to see the disc. Things need to improve. I'm thinking of giving a small presentation to my fellow classmates, about Linux and Ubuntu and how they've evolved over the years. :D.

macogw
May 28th, 2007, 04:39 PM
I would much prefer the Linux General Certifications, e.g. LPIC/CompTIA as whilst UCP/RHCE would have a lot of cross distribution elements, they are partially locking you in.

What I would be interested in is a UCP for people who have a LPIC or CompTIA or RHCE, etc. so you could get your general certification, and then "top up" with distribution specific training.

That's how it works. You have to have LPIC before you can get UCP

macogw
May 28th, 2007, 04:41 PM
Lack of choice has kinda forced me into RHCE. I'm undergng training for Redhat and there seem to be quite some differences between ubuntu and redhat regarding the command syntax. During the training period, what I noticed was that people were still very very new to Linux. Even the teacher, who apparently just got thru the RHCE , without actually being passionate about it, knew nothing about the latest distros, and when I handed him the cd, he was amazed to see the disc. Things need to improve. I'm thinking of giving a small presentation to my fellow classmates, about Linux and Ubuntu and how they've evolved over the years. :D.

I know the init runlevels are different between Debian and RH. Ubuntu does some things that are just "weird" by other distros' standards. The whole "sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start" thing instead of, I think it'd be "init 5" for RH and 4 for Debian.

starscalling
May 29th, 2007, 09:52 PM
mm another head here :P
i'm tired of the usual jobs, and personally i wanna do something where i can make a decent living doing consultant work [read that as less than full time]. an mcse can certainly do that - doesnt market you, but qualifies you for quite a few things... but i got into linux through frustration at the direction that windows is going a few years ago.

my real question is if i can charge say 100-150/hr as mcse what is a realistic figure for being linux cerfified. and is there much consultant work in it, or is it mostly corporate, tie on work?

macogw
May 30th, 2007, 06:36 AM
mm another head here :P
i'm tired of the usual jobs, and personally i wanna do something where i can make a decent living doing consultant work [read that as less than full time]. an mcse can certainly do that - doesnt market you, but qualifies you for quite a few things... but i got into linux through frustration at the direction that windows is going a few years ago.

my real question is if i can charge say 100-150/hr as mcse what is a realistic figure for being linux cerfified. and is there much consultant work in it, or is it mostly corporate, tie on work?

I don't know specifics, but I've heard you make more knowing Linux than knowing Windows because *nix people are harder to find.

Crafty Kisses
May 30th, 2007, 08:43 AM
Dear All,

do what I want.

thanks
-sanjay
Good Luck.

runningwithscissors
May 30th, 2007, 11:05 AM
Dear All,

do what I want.

thanks
-sanjay

First of all, NIIT are a cuntish outfit. I took a course with them on the condition that they'd refund about a third of my fee if they managed to find employment for me. That didn't happen and I found employment on my own. Getting the portion of the fee back took a year.

If you are already a graduate in some computer-related field, you don't need to fish about for additional certifications. They are useless. If you aren't a CS graduate however, you need them to at least get a foot in the door when it comes to job applications for computer-science related jobs.