PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] DVD not recognized after 14.04 installation

mauritzvdworm
August 25th, 2014, 08:40 PM
I've been searching the forums and trying a couple of different things the last two days but to no avail...

I recently upgraded from 12.04 to 14.04 using the update manager, but the installation did not go well. After the installation usb and dvd automount are not working any more.

sudo lshw -C disk gives an output

*-disk
description: ATA Disk
product: ST9320325AS
vendor: Seagate
physical id: 0
bus info: scsi@0:0.0.0
logical name: /dev/sda
version: 0002
serial: 6VE65LLW
size: 298GiB (320GB)
capabilities: partitioned partitioned:dos
configuration: ansiversion=5 sectorsize=512 signature=00038503
*-cdrom
description: DVD-RAM writer
product: DVD-RAM UJ892AS
vendor: MATSHITA
physical id: 1
bus info: scsi@1:0.0.0
logical name: /dev/cdrom
logical name: /dev/cdrw
logical name: /dev/dvd
logical name: /dev/dvdrw
logical name: /dev/sr0
logical name: /media/external
version: 1.00
capabilities: removable audio cd-r cd-rw dvd dvd-r dvd-ram
configuration: ansiversion=5 mount.fstype=iso9660 mount.options=ro,relatime state=mounted status=ready
*-medium
physical id: 0
logical name: /dev/cdrom
logical name: /media/external
configuration: mount.fstype=iso9660 mount.options=ro,relatime state=mounted

and eject also works perfectly. I can mount both the usb and dvd using

sudo mount -t auto /dev/dvd /media/external

but, I want to do a fresh installation from either a live usb or live cd. I have tried both methods and have not managed to boot up from either of the two devices.

I'd appreciate ANY ideas on how to proceed.

mauritzvdworm
August 26th, 2014, 08:53 AM
I found some handy information here

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1599293

I can locate the grub folder in the boot directory containing all the mod files. I also moved the iso into the boot directory but running

set prefix=(hdX,Y)/<path to modules>

with or without different combinations of X and Y followed by

insmod linux

gives the "no such file in directory" error message even though the file is located in that directory.

My HDD is not partitioned and I also tried (hd0), but still doesn't work.

If I can manage to set the prefix and initiate the mod files then maybe I can boot straight from the iso and do a clean install...

Any help?

varunendra
August 26th, 2014, 10:49 AM
..I want to do a fresh installation from either a live usb or live cd. I have tried both methods and have not managed to boot up from either of the two devices.

The OS installed on the hard disk or the changes to it have nothing to do with the booting in Live mode. If the Live DVD/USB were bootable, they should boot the computer even if there is no hard disk at all.

Can you confirm that the DVD/USB are bootable by booting another computer with them? How did you create them? Have you tried setting the DVD drive as the first boot device in the Boot Device Priority in BIOS?

mauritzvdworm
August 26th, 2014, 03:20 PM
Can you confirm that the DVD/USB are bootable by booting another computer with them?

I can confirm they are bootable.

How did you create them?

DVD was created from .iso using a mac. For the flash I used netbootin.

Have you tried setting the DVD drive as the first boot device in the Boot Device Priority in BIOS?

Jup, I tried to force a boot from the DVD and Flash by changing the preferences in the BIOS. Also tried it with grub, but didn't work.

varunendra
August 26th, 2014, 04:06 PM
I can confirm they are bootable.

How did you confirm that?

If setting the DVD drive as first boot device in BIOS doesn't let you boot from it, it can mean only and only two things - 1) DVD is either not bootable, or badly written/scratchy/incompatible etc., and 2) The DVD drive is dying/has died.

Not being able to boot from USB is not strange, but not being able to boot from a 'tested ok' bootable DVD means only above things.

What speed did you write the DVD at?
What kind of DVD disc it is? DVD-R, +R, something else?