PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu black screen after upgrade from 12.04 to 14.04

sebi2
August 25th, 2014, 09:45 AM
I've upgraded from ubuntu 12.04 to 14.04. There were display driver issues and I could only work in a terminal. I have installed the nvidia drivers from:

http://www.nvidia.com/content/DriverDownload-March2009/confirmation.php?url=/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/340.32/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-340.32.run&lang=us&type=geforcem

During the installation there seemed to be some conflicts with the existing installations nvidia-304* and was prompted to remove them and install the new drivers instead. Now, when I reboot the nvidia logo flashes a few times then nothing happens; there is a cursor on the top left of the display.

Typing:

Ctrl + Alt + F1
does not produce any result. I have dropped into the recovery mode root console and have tried to remove all nvidia installations by running:

sudo apt-get autoremove nvidia-304*
sudo apt-get --purge remove nvidia-304*
The following is displayed:

W: Not using locking for read only lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock
E: Unable to write to /var/cache/apt
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
Also, networking is disabled.
Running:

dpkg -l | grep nvidia

shows that nvidia-common, nvidia-settings and nvidia-settings-304 are installed.

Running:

grep -i "x driver" /var/log/Xorg.0.log

outputs:

[ 9.224] (II) NVIDIA dllloader X Driver 340.32

How is it possible to reinstall the drivers in order to get the display back?

kansasnoob
August 25th, 2014, 12:30 PM
In recovery mode you need to enable networking first to get read/write privileges before selecting to use the root terminal. Hope that helps a little.

sebi2
August 25th, 2014, 08:32 PM
If I boot from an older kernel version I can get into the console by starting in recovery mode and there enabling networking.

GRUB displays the following on boot:

*Ubuntu
Advanced options for Ubuntu
Memory test (memtest86+)
Memory test (memtest86+, serial console 115200)

I'm assuming that the first entry boots the latest version of the kernel. When selecting the "Advanced options for Ubuntu" the following entries are displayed:

Ubuntu, with Linux 3.13.0-34-generic
Ubuntu, with Linux 3.13.0-34-generic (recovery mode)
Ubuntu, with Linux 3.5.0-54-generic
Ubuntu, with Linux 3.5.0-54-generic (recovery mode)
Ubuntu, with Linux 3.5.0-47-generic
Ubuntu, with Linux 3.5.0-47-generic (recovery mode)
Ubuntu, with Linux 3.5.0-46-generic
Ubuntu, with Linux 3.5.0-46-generic (recovery mode)
Ubuntu, with Linux 3.5.0-44-generic
Ubuntu, with Linux 3.5.0-44-generic (recovery mode)
Ubuntu, with Linux 3.5.0-42-generic
Ubuntu, with Linux 3.5.0-42-generic (recovery mode)
Ubuntu, with Linux 3.5.0-41-generic
Ubuntu, with Linux 3.5.0-41-generic (recovery mode)
Ubuntu, with Linux 3.5.0-40-generic
Ubuntu, with Linux 3.5.0-40-generic (recovery mode)
Ubuntu, with Linux 3.5.0-23-generic
Ubuntu, with Linux 3.5.0-23-generic (recovery mode)

When trying to boot from the first option the screen freezes; Ctrl + Alt + F1 no longer work. When I launch the first option in recovery mode I can only drop to the root shell. Trying to enable networking freezes up the box.
When booting from the last option "Ubuntu, with Linux 3.5.0-23-generic (recovery mode)" I can get networking to work. However, when I type Ctrl + Alt + F7 the GUI does not show. However, input is recognized and I can revert to console mode. I have managed to uninstall all Nvidia drivers. Even without these shouldn't I be able to launch the GUI?

sebi2
August 25th, 2014, 09:42 PM
If I boot from an older kernel version I can get into the console by starting in recovery mode and there enabling networking.

GRUB displays the following on boot:

*Ubuntu
Advanced options for Ubuntu
Memory test (memtest86+)
Memory test (memtest86+, serial console 115200)
[CODE]

I'm assuming that the first entry boots the latest version of the kernel. When selecting the "Advanced options for Ubuntu" the following entries are displayed:

[CODE]
Ubuntu, with Linux 3.13.0-34-generic
Ubuntu, with Linux 3.13.0-34-generic (recovery mode)
Ubuntu, with Linux 3.5.0-54-generic
Ubuntu, with Linux 3.5.0-54-generic (recovery mode)
Ubuntu, with Linux 3.5.0-47-generic
Ubuntu, with Linux 3.5.0-47-generic (recovery mode)
Ubuntu, with Linux 3.5.0-46-generic
Ubuntu, with Linux 3.5.0-46-generic (recovery mode)
Ubuntu, with Linux 3.5.0-44-generic
Ubuntu, with Linux 3.5.0-44-generic (recovery mode)
Ubuntu, with Linux 3.5.0-42-generic
Ubuntu, with Linux 3.5.0-42-generic (recovery mode)
Ubuntu, with Linux 3.5.0-41-generic
Ubuntu, with Linux 3.5.0-41-generic (recovery mode)
Ubuntu, with Linux 3.5.0-40-generic
Ubuntu, with Linux 3.5.0-40-generic (recovery mode)
Ubuntu, with Linux 3.5.0-23-generic
Ubuntu, with Linux 3.5.0-23-generic (recovery mode)

When trying to boot from the first option the screen freezes; Ctrl + Alt + F1 no longer work. When I launch the first option in recovery mode I can only drop to the root shell. Trying to enable networking freezes up the box.
When booting from the last option "Ubuntu, with Linux 3.5.0-23-generic (recovery mode)" I can get networking to work. However, when I type Ctrl + Alt + F7 the GUI does not show. However, input is recognized and I can revert to console mode. I have managed to uninstall all Nvidia drivers. Even without these shouldn't I be able to launch the GUI?

EDIT:

Apparently I can access the bash window only when the nvidia drivers are unistalled. I wonder why.