PDA

View Full Version : What is your opinion about Work from Home Jobs ?

linuxyogi
August 24th, 2014, 07:04 PM
Hi,

Today I registered here (http://worknhire.com) and applied for a content writing job. I have a friend who works as a content writer so he will help me out.

The pay is not impressive but I am worried about the legitimacy of these kinds of sites.

I selected NEFT (http://www.icicibank.com/Personal-Banking/onlineservice/online-services/FundsTransfer/neft.page) as mode of payment.

Has anyone here tried something like this ? Did you get paid the promised amount ?

uRock
August 24th, 2014, 10:46 PM
"If it sounds too good to be true, then it is." is usually what I think of when I see work at home jobs listed online.

user1397
August 25th, 2014, 08:44 AM
Agreed. There are some semi-legit ones, but most are complete scams. If you go on craigslist for job postings, about 75% of them are fake work-at-home scams. It's quite annoying :)

Habitual
August 25th, 2014, 02:22 PM
I hope you signed up with a disposable email account.

linuxyogi
August 25th, 2014, 03:05 PM
Don't you guys think that the situation is really sad. I mean I am sure there are a lot of people who want to earn some extra cash by working from home but they just don't get a chance.

Not everybody has the money to setup an office and hire employees.

I hope you signed up with a disposable email account.

No, I used my primary address. Why ? Unwanted emails ?

QIII
August 25th, 2014, 04:23 PM
Unwanted emails from everyone they sell it to.

If you go to a brick and mortar business, go through an interview process and get a position where you work from home, such as data entry, you are probably OK. if you don't actually see another human, probably not.

Mrs QIII has an independent business that she runs at home. A legit business, not a sales/pyramid scam. She vets clients and makes contracts. That's really the only way to do it. But it's most certainly not part time.

Habitual
August 25th, 2014, 04:58 PM
No, I used my primary address. Why ? Unwanted emails ? Oh, God yes.
I ditched my last gmail account 4 years (or more) ago and I still occasionally get phone calls saying they "found" my resume, sent me an email and when they couldn't get a response, they called.

anachronism2
August 26th, 2014, 04:41 PM
Man, I would love to work from home. Just give me a decent check, enough to buy food and pay the bills, and I'm good. I seriously dream about it. No crazy commute. I could live out in the country without driving five hours to get to work. I could keep a garden and chickens with no worries. I could work when I want to, spend time with friends and beer when I want to, read or write if I want to, or just take a walk and take my mind off things. I mean, imagine working from your laptop, on your porch, at sunset, while listening to birds and cicadas, and your favorite music, while freely browsing your favorite articles and blogs as you work... compare that to any corporate environment.

Linuxyogi, the sad truth is that most work-from-home deals are scams. Your best bet is to start your own home-based company, and be self employed. I don't have a clue how you can sustain yourself that way, I'm just planning to talk with a financial advisor about it, after college in the realm of "someday".

Here's some ideas for stuff online: Accounting, bug-squishing, programming, IT support, data management, software dev, and if you have a creative streak, try writng online articles, publishing e-books, blogging, and editing.

Edit: Also, if you decide to work online, you can tie in all of your projects and modes of communication with a simple email newsletter.

If you can get your hands on a piece of unrestricted property, the ideas are bound only by your imagination. There's always the old storage for folks' RVs and boats; you could board horses if you're comfortable working with them; if you're handy with a wrench, fix things, all you need is one of those cheap metal buildings; you could go old-fashioned and grow stuff, raise stuf, and make stuff for the farmer's market on weekends; with a lot of acreage, there's hunting leases. Etcetera.

P.S. use MaskMyEmail for Firefox. It works great, but I keep it off when I'm not using it, because it does get annoying sometimes.

linuxyogi
August 26th, 2014, 05:44 PM
I don't think I am going to get that assignment which I applied for coz firstly there are a lot of other people who

have placed their bids and secondly although I asked for only ₹3500 where the max limit was ₹5000, I asked

a question which will probably make the guy think twice. I asked if the payment will be made in installments

as I keep submitting my work or will I have to wait for the completion of the entire project to get paid.

Fortunately I haven't received any Email form them till now. If they start sending Emails I will simply block their

address and If that doesnt work I will simply make my second address my primary.

Didn't know about MaskMyEmail. Looking for it now ....

lz1dsb
August 27th, 2014, 02:42 PM
Here my 5 cents...
I work on two places, one regular job and one side job. There use to be a time when I was having two side jobs.
The regular job I work from home sometimes. But it's expected from me to be in the office most of the time.
The side job I work completely from home. I've never even visited the locations where the equipment I configure is located.
So, it depends on the job. There are plenty legitimate work from home jobs out there. I know a lot of people that do not go at the office at all these days...