PDA

View Full Version : LFS Ideas

Tristan_Williams
August 24th, 2014, 04:40 PM
I am starting my second Linux From Scratch build today. And I need ideas for what to make of this system.
Last time I didn't really make anything, just a system that boots and operates, but no real purpose.
I want to build a system with a purpose this time, but I really need ideas for what the purpose should be.

user1397
August 25th, 2014, 08:40 AM
I am starting my second Linux From Scratch build today. And I need ideas for what to make of this system.
Last time I didn't really make anything, just a system that boots and operates, but no real purpose.
I want to build a system with a purpose this time, but I really need ideas for what the purpose should be.
are you going to try and make it a proper distribution down the line? or purely as a hobby?

Tristan_Williams
August 26th, 2014, 02:51 AM
are you going to try and make it a proper distribution down the line? or purely as a hobby?

I'm not sure yet. Probably just a hobby

user1397
August 26th, 2014, 05:06 AM
I'm not sure yet. Probably just a hobby
I'm not sure if this is difficult or not, but what about trying to use package management such as rpm or deb? Like, implementing package management within your LFS distribution?

Tristan_Williams
August 26th, 2014, 09:33 PM
I'm not sure if this is difficult or not, but what about trying to use package management such as rpm or deb? Like, implementing package management within your LFS distribution?

I think it would be cool to either use Portage, or develop my own package management system. It wouldn't be very high-quality like the other PMs but it would be a fun experience

user1397
August 26th, 2014, 11:08 PM
I think it would be cool to either use Portage, or develop my own package management system. It wouldn't be very high-quality like the other PMs but it would be a fun experienceIndeed, this is what I was thinking. Are you experienced in programming at all? One thing is implementing someone else's package manager, another is coding your own. But hell, if you know how, more power to ya.

Package management is usually the one big noticeable difference between different linux distros. There are obviously some that have some other differences/goals, but I see many distros that seem to want to accomplish similar goals and yet only have very surface differences (like different default desktop environments/sets of packages, etc)

Tristan_Williams
August 28th, 2014, 09:05 PM
Indeed, this is what I was thinking. Are you experienced in programming at all? One thing is implementing someone else's package manager, another is coding your own. But hell, if you know how, more power to ya.

Package management is usually the one big noticeable difference between different linux distros. There are obviously some that have some other differences/goals, but I see many distros that seem to want to accomplish similar goals and yet only have very surface differences (like different default desktop environments/sets of packages, etc)

No, I am not experienced in programming. I know quite a bit of Bash, but not any "real" languages.

Would it be possible to make a really simple package management system out of a Bash script?

user1397
September 3rd, 2014, 05:42 PM
No, I am not experienced in programming. I know quite a bit of Bash, but not any "real" languages.

Would it be possible to make a really simple package management system out of a Bash script?
Beats me, I am not experienced in programming either :)