PDA

View Full Version : OP...what is it?

Mike_Walsh
August 24th, 2014, 12:45 PM
Afternoon, all.

I've only been on the forums for a few months, and I keep seeing mention of the letters 'OP' when I browse through the threads.

Might I enquire what it stands for? Is it a Linux tradition? Is it peculiar to the Ubuntu forums?

I'm DEAD curious.....

Regards,

Mike.

lisati
August 24th, 2014, 12:48 PM
Afternoon, all.

I've only been on the forums for a few months, and I keep seeing mention of the letters 'OP' when I browse through the threads.

Might I enquire what it stands for? Is it a Linux tradition? Is it peculiar to the Ubuntu forums?

I'm DEAD curious.....

Regards,

Mike.

You are the OP (original poster) in this thread.... :D

Z80A
August 24th, 2014, 01:11 PM
Yeah... I guess that what the OP referred to... ;)

Mike_Walsh
August 24th, 2014, 02:13 PM
Yeah, yeah; thanks for that guys.....point taken. I'd've probably figured it out myself eventually, but it's getting so that as a society, we seem to be shortening EVERYTHING down to initials (acronyms, I believe is the word)!

Et tu, Brute....

Regards,

Mike.

speedwell68
August 24th, 2014, 08:36 PM
we seem to be shortening EVERYTHING down to initials (acronyms, I believe is the word)!

Et tu, Brute....

Regards,

Mike.

OMG that is so like NFTW.:D

tgalati4
August 24th, 2014, 09:32 PM
The term OP is useful for when someone (like myself) hijacks a thread and asks a different question in the thread than what the OP asked.

Why does the linux community use recursive acronyms? For instance GNU stands for GNU is Not Unix.

That would make NOP mean Not the Original Poster or No Operation (a common do-nothing assembly/machine code command). That would also make NNOP mean NOP is Not the Original Poster. Unless your name is NOP, then you would be the original poster.

If this thread was several pages long, then it is easy to forget what the OP asked in the first place.

varunendra
August 25th, 2014, 08:40 AM
Actually, it has two meanings, easily understood depending on the context -

1) OP = Original Poster
2) OP = Original Post

E.g.,
1) ....as stated by the OP.
2) ....as stated in the OP.

I hope it doesn't include more meanings in the future (like Original Problem ;))

echotech2
August 25th, 2014, 11:07 AM
Time to join the AAAAAAA (American Association for the Abolitoin of Abstract Abreviations and Asinine Acronyms).

fkkroundabout
August 25th, 2014, 11:53 AM
http://urbandictionary.com/

The Cog
August 25th, 2014, 01:20 PM
Is it a Linux tradition? Is it peculiar to the Ubuntu forums?
It is not peculiar to Ubuntu or Linux. It has been widely used across lots of forums for a long time.

Mike_Walsh
August 25th, 2014, 01:26 PM
Hi, everybody.

Thanks again for the replies; gosh, I REALLY set myself up for THIS one.....didn't I? :p

Regards,

Mike.

The Cog
August 25th, 2014, 02:09 PM
If you don't know, then you have to ask. Everyone here has ether asked that themselves, or seen someone else ask and be answered.
I nearly asked what NFTW was just now. But then I googled it and found it's National Trading Federation Wales. I don't quite know why speedwell68 mentions them.

JKyleOKC
August 25th, 2014, 05:14 PM
Any other meaning might be NSFW...

FWIW, in an earlier incarnation my corner of the cubicle farm was known as the Acronomium. My nameplate identified me as "Nicolai Ivanovich Lobachevski, Mangling Editor and Insulting Engineer." And I named one program "SACA2ME" for "Symbolic Assembly Compiler And 2-pass Macro Expander."

TTFN!

speedwell68
August 25th, 2014, 07:44 PM
I nearly asked what NFTW was just now. But then I googled it and found it's National Trading Federation Wales. I don't quite know why speedwell68 mentions them.

:lol: