PDA

View Full Version : What kind of Firefox do you run and why?

aysiu
July 27th, 2006, 05:45 PM
Well, Firefox 1.5.0.5 has come out, and now we're getting the usual, "How do I update my Firefox?" and "When will Ubuntu update Firefox?" questions again.

Which version of Firefox do you run--the Ubuntu repositories version of the Mozilla version? Why?

When you pick your reason, pick your primary reason. The multiple-choice polls end up having %ages that don't add up to 100%.

bruce89
July 27th, 2006, 05:46 PM
The one with a nice GUI.

I stick with the Ubuntu one though, all I need it for is for Gecko. FF2.0 will be boring for me as it still uses Gecko 1.8 (FF's rendering engine), albeit with a spelling checker. That will be useful here!

I just don't see the point in getting the latest point release manually, as there are usually only security fixes. When I had Breezy, I stayed with the 1.0 series, and when I wanted to upgrade to the 1.5 series, I just upgraded to Dapper.

I can understand people manually getting the latest major release, I just can't be bothered to do it really, as they usually don't mean very much. I look forward to Gecko 1.9 though (Firefox 3.0), as it will bring native widget rendering.

dabear
July 27th, 2006, 05:55 PM
Other (please explain)

I use flock (http://flock.com), a firefox derivative with beter features and a nicer default UI.

Yossarian
July 27th, 2006, 06:23 PM
I just use dapper's firefox. I don't have alot of time to break my computer these days.

digTro
July 27th, 2006, 06:26 PM
I thought FF updated itself autotomatically. Now that you have mentioned it, I checked the update option and it is disabled and the version is still 1.5.0.2! Time to get the Mozilla version.

Carrots171
July 27th, 2006, 06:26 PM
I use Swiftfox because of the speed.:)

readingboy
July 27th, 2006, 06:35 PM
I can wait about a week or so for the new version to come out in the repositories. However, if it's much later than that, I'll give up and install the Mozilla version.

G Morgan
July 27th, 2006, 06:46 PM
I'm using the version from the repos, I see little need to fragment my software all over the place just for a few updates which will be in the repos sooner or later.

hard_i
July 27th, 2006, 06:49 PM
/me uses Swiftfox

FISHERMAN
July 27th, 2006, 06:56 PM
With Breezy it was a big problem because they kept using 1.0 while 1.5 was released. So back then, I always updated with the mozilla-version.
But I don't really care whether or not I'm using 1.5.0.4 or 1.5.0.5
Though I would install the Mozilla version if we'll have to wait too long after the official release of 2.0.

hizaguchi
July 27th, 2006, 07:01 PM
I hate Ubuntu's Firefox for one insanely picky reason, the "I'm feeling lucky" search that replaces a normal Google search when you type "google xxxxxxx" in the address bar. I know I can do a regular search from the little Google bar on the right, but every other Firefox I've ever used has used the default google search in the address bar, and it's a hard habit to break.

xen
July 27th, 2006, 07:04 PM
I'm using Swiftfox, besides being quicker for me, it has a nicer default icon :D

aysiu
July 27th, 2006, 07:05 PM
I hate Ubuntu's Firefox for one insanely picky reason, the "I'm feeling lucky" search that replaces a normal Google search when you type "google xxxxxxx" in the address bar. I know I can do a regular search from the little Google bar on the right, but every other Firefox I've ever used has used the default google search in the address bar, and it's a hard habit to break.
That "I'm feeling lucky" behavior exists in both Ubuntu and Mozilla's versions. You can also modify it in both versions by typing about:config in the address bar: keyword.URL with a string of http://www.google.com/search?btnI=I%27m+Feeling+Lucky&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=

Miguel
July 27th, 2006, 07:19 PM
I use Ubuntu firefox with Flock's theme. It looks nice, but a bit off topic with my current Desktop. Why do I keep the stock version? It's simple: apt. I do nothing to keep it up-to-date (security wise) and I don't see much improvement in these 1.5.0.* versions to grant a bit of work (even if it is download -> untar -> check a couple of symlinks)

I am however tempted to give seamonkey a fair try (one full week at least), as I've read it's lighter than firefox+thunderbird and I have these two always open in my computers (even at my job, in a separate virtual desktop).

Finally, I must admit that I used to feel tempted about compiling firefox all for my system (laptop), but when I saw how huge the source was I decided it wasn't time for a gentoo switch.

EDIT: The "I do nothing security wise" should mean that, as I run apt-get update every day, nothing more is needed to update firefox.

And, BTW, while Ubuntu version is locked at 1.5.0.2, it incorporates all the latest security patches.

DoktorSeven
July 27th, 2006, 08:26 PM
I compile and install Firefox from source. Takes a couple of hours to compile but it's more responsive.

chickengirl
July 27th, 2006, 08:36 PM
I'm using 2.0 beta 1, because I'm impatient and I need my new features now, dammit! And given what happened with 1.5 and Breezy, I figure Ubuntu won't be getting 2.0 until Edgy+1. :p

Lord Illidan
July 27th, 2006, 08:38 PM
I've stopped using Firefox on Linux for the time being. It crashed twice today, and took a large chunk of memory with it, rendering my entire machine just responsive enough to switch to a tty and slowly slowly type killall firefox.bin

Now I am using Konqueror. Many of firefox 2 "new" features are already here, like spell checking, the widgets look better, by pressing F9 I can control Amarok from the sidebar...what else could I want?

Iandefor
July 27th, 2006, 08:44 PM
I chose "Ubuntu version - because I'm too lazy to install the Mozilla version", but only because it was the closest option. I just don't care is the real reason I use it.

RAV TUX
July 27th, 2006, 09:54 PM
I chose "Ubuntu version - because I'm too lazy to install the Mozilla version", but only because it was the closest option. I just don't care is the real reason I use it.

2nd this reason. (didn't vote)

sethmahoney
July 27th, 2006, 10:25 PM
Swiftfox! It seems ever so slightly faster!

gingermark
July 27th, 2006, 10:29 PM
"Ubuntu's version - Some other reason (please specify)"

My bank doesn't support Opera, so I have to use Firefox for internet banking.

muep
July 28th, 2006, 12:28 AM
I use the Ubuntu version because I don't see any need to get the latest. There are security concerns, but I think Ubuntu gets security patches backported to the older Firefox.

AndyCooll
July 28th, 2006, 12:30 AM
The version that currently comes with Ubuntu does everything I need it to do and is perfectly adequate, no real need for me to update it.

:cool:

gruvsyco
July 28th, 2006, 12:50 AM
I use flock (http://flock.com), a firefox derivative with beter features and a nicer default UI.
Ditto.

NeoChaosX
July 28th, 2006, 12:56 AM
Mozilla version - specifically 2.0, I can't live without the spellchecker. I, however, keep Ubuntu's Firefox installed because the mplayer plugin for Firefox requires it to be installed.

Rhapsody
July 28th, 2006, 01:14 AM
Swiftfox here. The lack of speed in Firefox was always rather grating, and Swiftfox is noticably faster.

Iandefor
July 28th, 2006, 02:19 AM
hmm... I just downloaded the latest firefox from Mozilla.com and I notice that it renders noticeably faster than the default Ubuntu. And it even comes with the default Firefox icon!

kigina
July 28th, 2006, 03:14 AM
1.5.0.4 with the mozilla icons

jimrz
July 28th, 2006, 03:18 AM
1.5.0.5 now in the repos...just got from update mgr

was going to get moz ver, but did update check 1st and there it was. used moz ver in breezy and will likely do again, just have not yet gotten around to it

kigina
July 28th, 2006, 03:30 AM
1.5.0.4 with the mozilla icons

just upgraded to 1.5.0.5

aysiu
July 28th, 2006, 03:32 AM
That update was the fastest I've seen yet! Good job, Ubuntu developers.

prizrak
July 28th, 2006, 03:40 AM
There was a reason to upgrade from 1.0.9 to 1.5 as 1.0.9 was very unstable. There is little reason to go to 1.5.0.5 right now we get security updates from Ubuntu anyways and there isn't much in speed/usability improvements.

confused57
July 28th, 2006, 03:45 AM
For Dapper, I use the Ubuntu FF...on the Breezy installation I'm using, I use Automatix to keep FF updated.

croak77
July 28th, 2006, 06:15 AM
None. Don't care for Firefox. I use Konqueror or Elinks instead.

eriqk
July 29th, 2006, 09:03 PM
I use the Ubuntu version, but scrolling is ridiculously slow (this wasn't a problem with 1.0.* on the same machine), so I'm thinking about switching to the Mozilla version to see if it's any better. Maybe even compile from source, if that helps.

Groet, Erik

NESFreak
July 29th, 2006, 09:07 PM
i've got the update but i guess it from a non official repro.

how can you find out where you've got the package from?

Boomy
July 29th, 2006, 09:26 PM
Swiftfox. Firefox is a pig, Swiftfox is less of a pig.

userundefine
July 29th, 2006, 09:52 PM
Ubuntu's version - Some other reason (please specify)

Not because I'm lazy, but because Ubuntu's version is essentially identical. I'll probably check out trunk builds sometime, but as someone else said, until Gecko 1.9 there's really no point for me to use anything but Ubuntu's version because there aren't new CSS features being added until then.

I personally haven't experienced the problems others complain about, memory leaks or slowness. If anything, it's more stable and faster on Linux than it was on Windows.

Wallakoala
July 30th, 2006, 12:50 AM
I used to use the mozilla version when I used breezy, but then recently I started to use the repo version because I can use the mozilla-mplayer plugin. The repo version also uses gtk dialogs which makes it blend in a little better.

lotusleaf
July 30th, 2006, 01:12 AM
I use the Ubuntu version of Firefox now only because new versions seem to come out faster now following a new Firefox version being released.

Before I'd compile myself but now since the releases are coming in quicker (than during Breezy times for example) I may as well save that time for compiling other goodies. :)

ukripper
June 2nd, 2007, 03:47 PM
I use Mozilla's firefox v 2.0 as it has alot of cutomization available to it in terms of look and usability.:p

starcraft.man
June 2nd, 2007, 03:58 PM
LOL! Thread Necromancy! Almost a year since before your post :p

Anyway, I use the Ubuntu version. Haven't had any problems with it and I don't see (unlike other people) a rush to get the latest security update (which I got last night, and was released the 30th). So I'm sticking with what works.

On a related note... interesting to see lots of lazy folk around :p.

picpak
June 2nd, 2007, 04:04 PM
Yeah...I'm lazy.

Kalinda
June 2nd, 2007, 04:20 PM
I use the shell script/Mozilla's version.. because i run Kubuntu and I think it's just easier as I don't have to worry about the icons and I then get the updates.

I've come to love shell script apps, actually - just extract the tarball, run the script and bam! it laucnhes :) I run Azureus that way, too.. plus it means i can just transfer the program's folder from my home dir and then put it back after I update or reinstall or whatever.

ukripper
June 2nd, 2007, 06:13 PM
I would say chilled back attitude rather than being lazy;) but perhaps could help someone on forum someday. (That's the intent)