PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] No desktop shortcuts, almost unusable gnome

Randy M
August 22nd, 2014, 11:44 PM
I just replaced my wife's desktop, an upgrade to a faster machine, after an update to 12.04 rendered the old one almost too slow to use. I decided to install 14.04 on the new machine so it would have the latest and greatest. BIG MISTAKE! I installed Gnome (she hates Unity with a seething passion) and it's now difficult to use, and there's no way to create a shortcut on the desktop. I copied her existing shortcuts to an external drive and tried to copy them to the new machine. No luck. They won't copy. The desktop is a nice pretty picture with no functionality whatsoever. After a nice long install, copying files to a backup drive, copying them back, and going through an exercise in futility trying to make the machine usable, it looks like I'll have to reformat and go to an older version.

Does anyone test this code before it's released? First bloatware turns one machine into a doorstop (I heard some strange rumor that Ubuntu was a good way to get more performance out of an older machine, so much for that bit of fantasy), and now it's turned one fresh out of the box into a pretty piece of semi-functional art work. Maybe a downgrade to 12.04 will work, but I'm not hopeful at this point.

I won't start the process for a while in case someone has a magical process to make the shortcuts work, but I'm definitely not holding my breath.

Randy M
August 23rd, 2014, 12:54 AM
We've been playing with the XUBUNTU disk, I'll let you know how that install and transfer goes.

CantankRus
August 23rd, 2014, 05:09 AM
There's always gnome-session-flashback.
http://www.webupd8.org/2014/04/how-to-install-and-tweak-gnome.html

mörgæs
August 23rd, 2014, 09:43 AM
Please begin with a complete hardware description.

Randy M
August 23rd, 2014, 07:15 PM
Please begin with a complete hardware description.

Let me know if any of this is pertinent to the inability to copy icons to, or create new icons on, the desktop.

Acer Aspire TC-605 UR-19

MEMORY TYPE - DDR3
AUDIO OUT JACKS - 2
WIFI DESCRIPTION - Wireless LAN 802.11 a/b/g/n, Bluetooth 4.0
AUDIO CHIPSET - High Definition Audio
MAXIMUM MEMORY SUPPORTED - 16GB
FORM FACTOR - Tower
EXTERNAL BAYS TOTAL / FREE - 1 - 5.25" Bay
ORIENTATIONS ALLOWED - Vertical
PROCESSOR BRAND - Intel
MEMORY CONFIGURATION - 1 x 4GB
PROCESSOR CLASS - Core i5
LINE IN JACKS - 1
GRAPHICS - Integrated Graphics
LAN PORTS - 1
HARD DRIVE TYPES - Hard Disk Drive
GPU/VPU - Intel HD Graphics 4600
HARD DRIVES INCLUDED - 1
CONNECTION TYPE - USB Mouse
PROCESSOR SPEED - 3.10GHz
CAPACITY - 500GB
TOTAL MEMORY SIZE - 4GB
WIDTH - 6.9"
CONDITION - New
LAN CHIPSET - Integrated
LAN DATA TRANSFER RATE - 10/100/1000Mbps
OPTICAL DRIVE CLASS - DVD±RW DL
POWER - 300 Watt
USB PORTS (TOTAL) - 4 - USB 2.0, 2 - USB 3.0
MICROPHONE JACKS - 2
POWER SUPPLY TYPE - AC 120/230 V (50/60 Hz)
AUDIO DESCRIPTION - Integrated Audio
PROCESSOR NUMBER - i5-4440
COLORS - Black
LAN INTERFACE TYPER - J-45
DEPTH - 16.3"
SPECIFICATION NOTES[9] To provide the most accurate specifications, the specifications listed are based upon the exact model specification as published by CNET.
PLATFORM - PC
LIFESTYLE - Home & Student
LAN DESCRIPTION - Gigabit Ethernet
HEIGHT - 15"
INTERNAL BAYS TOTAL / FREE - 1 - 3.5" Bay
OPERATING SYSTEMS - Windows 8.1 64-Bit (Well, not any more, but that's how it came out of the box)

pfeiffep
August 23rd, 2014, 07:49 PM
After a nice long install, copying files to a backup drive, copying them back, and going through an exercise in futility trying to make the machine usable, it looks like I'll have to reformat and go to an older version.

Does anyone test this code before it's released? First bloatware turns one machine into a doorstop (I heard some strange rumor that Ubuntu was a good way to get more performance out of an older machine, so much for that bit of fantasy), and now it's turned one fresh out of the box into a pretty piece of semi-functional art work. Maybe a downgrade to 12.04 will work, but I'm not hopeful at this point.

I really don't like unity so I installed gnome flash back (found in the software center) which is a whole lot snappier than unity on my laptop.

Randy M
August 24th, 2014, 03:41 AM
I'm tagging this one as resolved. Reformatting the drive and installing Xubuntu 14.04 resulted in a highly configurable, and quite responsive, system. we've been able to install all of tthe software that my wife uses, create the desktop shortcuts that she relies on, make adjustments to make the user experience comfortable for her. the Ubuntu developers could learn a lot from the folks at Xubuntu.