PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Lubuntu Unicode PSA

fireflower
August 19th, 2014, 05:51 PM
Was going to post the solution to this problem in the relevant thread, only 3 weeks old, but it was closed. And at that, it was closed without a true solution being posted. I figured it out on my own, and wanted to post the solve. Posting a couple hyperlinks with information that doesn't actually help and no explanation is not a solution!

How to unicode in Lubuntu: Press CTRL+SHIFT+U, then let go of the keys, type the code, and press SPACEBAR.

How to unicode in the other 4 distros I tested: Press CTRL+SHIFT+U, type the code, and press SPACEBAR.

Example: u0394 is the unicode for the Greek Δ (delta) symbol. Comes in handy in Kerbal Space Program, as in "Δv". If you attempt to type this in any other DE, distro or OS I have ever used, it works fine holding down the three keys to proc the code while typing the code. But for whatever reason Lubuntu wants to be special. "Mary Lou (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MarySue)-buntu", if you will. If you try it the "normal" way, you get some bizarre output like u)#($ which will then disappear when you hit SPACEBAR rather than render Δ.

bandjc
December 5th, 2014, 04:26 AM
Doesn't work for me. I have yet to crack this with Lubuntu.

Could this be FUBARed because I have set dead keys for typing accents?

bandjc
December 5th, 2014, 12:34 PM
Aha! Two Input Methods running! Get rid of xim, set ibus as default, Fireflower's method works PERFICK.