PDA

View Full Version : 16GB SDD: Set up for cache or /boot and / ?

mike-g2
August 18th, 2014, 11:56 PM
I've got a Thinkpad Yoga with a 16GB SSD and a 500GB HDD and am trying to decide whether to install the OS on the SSD or use it with bcache (or dm-cache?) as a cache SSD.

My concern with the first set up is that my linux installs seem to bloat after a few years. For example, on my current laptop, my root (/) partition with the OS (i.e. not including /home which is on a separate partition) uses 20GB.

Any thoughts or experiences folks have had with either set up will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

ibjsb4
August 19th, 2014, 01:46 PM
Any files that do not need to be saved to hdd can be stored in tmpfs (provided you have enough ram).

A root system of that size is hard for me to image. Do you clean from time to time? I find that BleachBit works well for this, just have a care when using it.

If I had a SSD I would want my OS on it, maybe one day :)

mike-g2
August 20th, 2014, 10:28 PM
I did a little poking around and discovered that there were some very large and unnecessary -dbg and LaTeX support packages installed, old config files, and that Mathematica 9 takes up almost 6GB! Cleaning this up got me down to ~10GB so I decided to use the SSD for / and /boot. The machine boots in <10 seconds, which I'm very happy with.

ibjsb4
August 21st, 2014, 03:53 AM
10 seconds .. wow ..

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPostsTeam/SolvedThreads