PDA

View Full Version : How important is network security to you

axiomanarcho
August 18th, 2014, 08:15 PM
With the new spying abilities some of the major companys have around the world I would hope people in the more commercial distributions such as ubuntu would be cautious of what information they send out on networks.

Example here: <snip>

Richard stallman talking about insecuritys and adherent disasters concerning non-free: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFMMXRoSxnA

uRock
August 18th, 2014, 09:22 PM
Obviously important, because I do have a layered security model for my home network. While also being not crucially important, because I am connected to the internet. That said, as long as a company has a well structured security policy and by the book implementation of the policy, then everything should be safe when transmitting across the internet.

My opinions on the videos,

The example video is too politically biased to be respected. I tend to not give much weight to reporters who can't just give me the facts without adding in their speculations. It is also very old.

The Stallman video was good, yet hard to watch. The interviewer appears to be high on drugs. I say this because he is constantly laughing and making irrelevant comments. His constant snorting reminds me of the pill junkies I encountered while working for the legal system.

linuxyogi
August 18th, 2014, 09:31 PM
I am paranoid about network security. That is one of the reasons I have never connected to the Internet using Windows since 2008 !

I don't use Google Chrome coz its not completely open source. The only proprietary thing on my system is the Nvidia driver. I use coz I have no other option, the free driver hangs my system.

IMO using an open source OS alone is simply not enough. You need to use a open source router too. From 2013 Dlink is making their firmwares in such a way that you will no longer be able to install opensource firmwares like dd-wrt easily.

So, I guess its best to use something like IPCOP.

uRock
August 18th, 2014, 09:39 PM
I am paranoid and network security. That is one of the reasons I have never connected to the Internet using Windows since 2008 !

I don't use Google Chrome coz its not completely open source. The only proprietary thing on my system is the Nvidia driver. I use coz I have no other option, the free driver hangs my system.

IMO using an open source OS alone is simply not enough. You need to use a open source router too. From 2013 Dlink is making their firmwares in such a way that you will no longer be able to install opensource firmwares like dd-wrt easily.

Throw in a USB hub for the extra power supply and a wireless NIC and skip the Snort stuff in this project and I think you could build yourself a decent open sourced router. Use a hand-me-down PC and you can add in all the extra security services you want.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Raspberry-Pi-Firewall-and-Intrusion-Detection-Syst/?ALLSTEPS

markodd
August 18th, 2014, 10:11 PM
I am paranoid about network security. That is one of the reasons I have never connected to the Internet using Windows since 2008 !

I'm pretty paranoid myself, and I seem to be getting more each-day. Sadly, my knowledge is still lacking.

Could you please explain something to me please:

If you use a VPN, how important is it to use an open-source router?

linuxyogi
August 18th, 2014, 10:42 PM
Throw in a USB hub for the extra power supply and a wireless NIC and skip the Snort stuff in this project and I think you could build yourself a decent open sourced router. Use a hand-me-down PC and you can add in all the extra security services you want.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Raspberry-Pi-Firewall-and-Intrusion-Detection-Syst/?ALLSTEPS

It a bit difficult for you to understand my problem but the fact is even a Raspberry-Pi which is pretty cheap in western countries costs quite a bit in India.

A complete Raspberry Pi package with all the extra stuff will cost almost 4 times my Dlink router.

But still I will buy one. Just need some time.

linuxyogi
August 18th, 2014, 10:45 PM
I'm pretty paranoid myself, and I seem to be getting more each-day. Sadly, my knowledge is still lacking.

Could you please explain something to me please:

If you use a VPN, how important is it to use an open-source router?

I am no expert myself but remember this much, if your router's proprietary firmware has a back door which is sending data to a particular location it won't matter if you use a VPN. Then that data will simply go through another route.

uRock
August 18th, 2014, 10:51 PM
It a bit difficult for you to understand my problem but the fact is even a Raspberry-Pi which is pretty cheap in western countries costs quite a bit in India.

A complete Raspberry Pi package with all the extra stuff will cost almost 4 times my Dlink router.

But still I will buy one. Just need some time.

If it is cheaper, you can buy a used computer. I apologize for not having any knowledge on your local economy. I have a strict budget as well. Though the Pi is relatively cheap here, I am hesitant to fork out money for anything I don't absolutely need.

QIII
August 18th, 2014, 10:55 PM
axiomanarcho --

I have snipped the first of your linked videos because it delves into political subjects ranging far from the acceptable discussions of politics as they affect open source.

If you can find an edited version of that video that includes only discussion of how open source is affected, then that would be acceptable. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but we only allow political discussion as it applies directly to open source.

QIII

Habitual
August 21st, 2014, 03:26 PM
Fighting Evil is a Full Time job.

ian-weisser
August 21st, 2014, 10:39 PM
With the new spying abilities some of the major companys have around the world...

Perhaps they are new to you. But they are not new. And they are not just 'major companys'.

Goodness, The Simpsons covered this topic 20 years ago, in shockingly prescient detail. I still don't look at Major League Baseball the same way.

uRock
August 21st, 2014, 11:20 PM
Perhaps they are new to you. But they are not new. And they are not just 'major companys'.

Goodness, The Simpsons covered this topic 20 years ago, in shockingly prescient detail. I still don't look at Major League Baseball the same way.

Thank goodness there's a Simpson's marathon going on on the FXX Network starting today and playing every single episode. I'll try to catch that one.

buzzingrobot
August 21st, 2014, 11:39 PM
The only reason the internet works is because it knows where you are. I.e., the IP address you're using is in every packet you generate and in every packet that arrives back at your system. Packets transit an unknown number of routers and other system. The only thing keeping anyone in control of any of those systems from recording and examining or exploiting every packet of data that comes their way is their decision not to.

Deliberate alteration of hardware or software to compromise security or privacy is, of course, a different matter. Even there, though, information can only be compromised on the internet if you put it there in the first place.

So, that's my approach: I don't publish -- and the net is a publishing medium, not a communications network -- anything I actually want to remain secure and private.