PDA

View Full Version : Does Windows really stop transfer of "copyrighted" files?

t0p
August 18th, 2014, 02:14 PM
I've got a new phone, I downloaded a pdf of the manual and was browsing through it. I saw some stuff about transferring files (music, video etc) from a Windows computer to the phone and it said it may be unable to transfer "copyrighted" material!

Is this right? I vaguely remember reading discussions about Vista and DRM, but I think the consensus then was that it would be unworkable. Have Microsoft and the intellectual property cartels made the unworkable workable?

NB I have put the term "copyrighted" in quotations because it's a silly term. Everything is copyrighted in one way or another. I know in the context they mean copyright-infringing material, but they shouldn't use such sloppy short-hand. It annoys me. Grr.

coldraven
August 18th, 2014, 04:04 PM
I don't know the answer but I won't buy any Microsoft or Bluray products because of this "My hardware is spying on me" feeling.
I moved to Linux when Vista came out after reading this analysis. It's quite long but gives you the idea that Microsoft valued their Hollywood chums more than their customers.
https://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.html

pretty_whistle
August 18th, 2014, 07:45 PM
One time I tried playing something in Windows Media Player and it wouldn't play and gave me a message saying there was a copyright problem. I gave up after this.