PDA

View Full Version : Install ? for Mac Pro 2006

chris275
August 18th, 2014, 01:08 AM
I have a Mac Pro 2006 version 1.1. I have been using Ubuntu on some PC's for a while and have fallen in love with the OS. I have tried a few others like Pear OS and mint and a couple others. My question is i followed the directions in the mac pro support section but i can't get the install disk to load in my Mac Pro. I successfully installed Pear OS from the disk but as its no longer supported i would like to switch to Ubunutu permanently. I have every version on disk from 10.04 to 14.04 (Mac versions where available) and I'm running rEFInd as the boot loader. for some reason none of the Ubuntu disks will load from rEFInd. I have installed Pear OS 7 and 8 from the disk flawlessly. Can anyone think of any reason why the Ubuntu disks would not load? I can't even get it to show up in the boot loader as an option but Pear shows up just fine. What am i missing?

chris275
August 18th, 2014, 03:01 AM
Just as some general info (for those unfamiliar with Pear) it really is nothing more than Ubuntu with a modified UI to mimic OSX it still uses all the Ubuntu repositories for the major stuff (excluding UI since it ditches the unity desktop). I can't figure why if its the same base system one works flawlessly and the other does not. You would at least think it would be recognized by the boot loader considering i was attempting with the Mac specific version and Pear is a basic Ubuntu 64bit.