PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade to 14.04 ends in a horrible disaster

we7master
August 16th, 2014, 12:26 PM
The program manager suggested I upgrade, so I went ahead.

The problem started when a dialogue box appeared saying "System program problem detected"

It didn't matter whether I press the Cancel button or the Report problem button. Nothing happens, the machines appears to be totally locked up.

I can't even bring up a terminal window. I have tried Ctrl, Alt, T also Ctrl, Alt, F1 but I get nothing. Neither does Ctrl, Alt, Del work to reboot the machine. The only way to reboot is pull the power cord out.

After a few minutes I lose control of the mouse, the cursor just drifts across the screen.

After 5-10 minutes the screen turns grey then yellow and stays that way.

I've had problems with Ubuntu before but managed to bring up a terminal window and find my way out of the problem.

But without a terminal window I'm not sure where or how to start to get my system back working again.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Kerry

grahammechanical
August 16th, 2014, 01:25 PM
Want to get to a Linux command line? Go to Recovery mode and at the Recovery menu select Network to set up a network connection and then Root to get a root shell prompt. When finished with the commands type exit to get back to the recovery menu and then Resume to resume loading Ubuntu.

Regards.