PDA

View Full Version : Give me your opinion about my Ubuntu book's cover under GNU/FDL

Ali_Moslehi
August 16th, 2014, 09:22 AM
Please, give me your opinions about my books' cover. It's about Ubuntu and under the GNU/FDL License. It will publish one week after Ubuntu 14.10

http://www.withali.com/imagezz/lovely_ubuntu.png

TheFu
August 16th, 2014, 01:17 PM
Which release does it cover - the GUIs are constantly changing.

sffvba[e0rt
August 16th, 2014, 03:00 PM
All I would suggest is finding out about using the different logos (yes we are dealing with free software but trademark is something completely different).

CantankRus
August 16th, 2014, 04:55 PM
Can you think of a better adjective than lovely?
I would state somewhere on the cover exactly what the book is for.

coldraven
August 16th, 2014, 07:19 PM
The black and white Gnu seems out of place when everything else has colour.
Which audience are you aiming for? If it's noobs they will think that the book is about animals. As CantankRus says above, have the cover explain what the book is about.
Move the Gnu and Penguin to a page that explains their significance.
I don't know the legality of using using trademarks so you will have to do some research.

stalkingwolf
August 19th, 2014, 04:29 PM
+1

ohioeasy
August 19th, 2014, 04:34 PM
I like it, very nice

snidely2
August 21st, 2014, 07:24 AM
is this a translated book title?

"lovely" doesn't really work as an adjective for Ubuntu . . . and, without more info on what the book will cover, I can't quite come up with a better one.

colors are nice . . .

Thee
August 21st, 2014, 02:42 PM
From a designers point of view, I would remove all the logos, reorganize the text and change the fonts and background too. Here is why:

- All of the logos are in different color, making the cover too colorful, which doesn't look good.
- 4 different fonts on one cover doesn't really work. 2 would be enough. And no "comic sans" type fonts... it looks unprofessional.
- I know the background is suppose to resemble the Ubuntu theme, but that can be done in a nicer way. This just doesn't fit good.
- Text needs to be properly organized, watching out for common mistakes, like positioning, style, etc.

pretty_whistle
August 22nd, 2014, 03:51 AM
I'd just remove the animal with the horns. Otherwise it's good.

If I wanted to know about Ubuntu I'd buy it. :)