PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Software updater cannot detect new kernel update

medo-tareq
August 15th, 2014, 08:45 AM
i use ubuntu 14.04 tried to update the kernel from 3.13.0-33-generic to 3.13.0-34-generic but it cannot detect the new update i changed the server but the same result :(

mikewhatever
August 15th, 2014, 11:49 AM
It's probably nothing major, some mirrors are a few days behind the main one. Can you post the output of <cat /etc/apt/sources.list> for review.

kc1di
August 15th, 2014, 12:01 PM
Go to a terminal and type the following see if that will work?

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

stjohn-michael
August 15th, 2014, 12:09 PM

sudo apt-get update

Do this if nothing
sudo apt-get linux-lts-trusty

kansasnoob
August 15th, 2014, 12:29 PM
Do this if nothing
sudo apt-get linux-lts-trusty

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The OP said, "i use ubuntu 14.04".

Look, I'm also running 14.04:

lance@lance-desktop:~$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS
Release: 14.04
Codename: trusty
lance@lance-desktop:~$ apt-cache policy linux-lts-trusty
N: Unable to locate package linux-lts-trusty

Don't suggest things you're not sure of!!!!!!

ajgreeny
August 15th, 2014, 12:57 PM
The update-manager (or software-updater) takes account of the "phased updates" system whereby only a percentage of users get all the updates immediately, and they are then rolled out in succession over a few days. This allows any package updates that may cause problems to a few users to be more fully investigated and withdrawn if necessary, avoiding any major problems which, although they may be very rare, have happened in the past.

This is a feature of the update manager, not a bug of any kind, but it can be over-ridden if you wish to by using either synaptic package manager, or the command line sudo apt-get update.

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/foundations-r-phased-updates
http://askubuntu.com/questions/369722/update-manager-does-not-show-all-updates

kansasnoob
August 15th, 2014, 01:26 PM
The update-manager (or software-updater) takes account of the "phased updates" system whereby only a percentage of users get all the updates immediately, and they are then rolled out in succession over a few days. This allows any package updates that may cause problems to a few users to be more fully investigated and withdrawn if necessary, avoiding any major problems which, although they may be very rare, have happened in the past.

This is a feature of the update manager, not a bug of any kind, but it can be over-ridden if you wish to by using either synaptic package manager, or the command line sudo apt-get update.

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/foundations-r-phased-updates
http://askubuntu.com/questions/369722/update-manager-does-not-show-all-updates

+1! The word phased refused to come to mind :redface:

I have three machines connected to the same LAN and they do not always get the same updates at the same time. Sometimes patience is a true virtue.

medo-tareq
August 15th, 2014, 06:21 PM
i don't think that because the same happened before and after reinstalling ubuntu it caught the latest update :(

medo-tareq
August 15th, 2014, 06:22 PM

sudo apt-get update

i did that and there is no result

medo-tareq
August 15th, 2014, 06:29 PM
if the update is randomly then why it will be available after installing ubuntu again!!

if that okay i will wait .no problem although my friend installed ubuntu two days ago and installed the next kernel

ajgreeny
August 15th, 2014, 06:57 PM
if the update is randomly then why it will be available after installing ubuntu again!!

if that okay i will wait .no problem although my friend installed ubuntu two days ago and installed the next kernel

Perhaps your friend is not using the exact same servers for his repositories, as not all servers get the packages at the same time.