PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] move files in nautilus

nicnok
August 14th, 2014, 12:16 PM
Just migrated from 10.04 via 12.04 to 14.04 and pretty disappointed, particularly having read many rave reviews.
Amongst many issues is an inability to drag & move/copy files in Nautilus [can't tell you what version that is as there's no 'about' or even a tool-bar that I can find].
I used to use the left-hand pane - how do I now get a Tree in the left-hand pane?
Related to that the Ubuntu Desktop Guide » Files » says "2.
Click Files in the top bar, select New Window etc" but of course there's no top bar and hence no 'Files'. Can anyone translate what the guide means?
This is amazingly basic stuff, but I can't find a thread with a SIMPLE explanation.

Any help would be appreciated before I give up on 14.04 and go elsewhere.

kc1di
August 14th, 2014, 12:25 PM
What your experiencing is one of the reasons I almost always say that a clean install is best.
Nautilus works fine in 14.04 here. can drag and drop copy the tool bar is at the top of the screen unless you've changed the Global menu options.

nicnok
August 14th, 2014, 12:34 PM
Thanks - ok, this was not a clean install but I'd a lot of data to retain.
What are the Global Menu Options?
What shold they be set to?
and
exactly how do I get to them please?

kc1di
August 14th, 2014, 01:32 PM
I'm assuming your using ubuntu with unity desktop:
this page (http://www.howtogeek.com/187999/how-to-enable-local-menus-in-ubuntu-14.04/) will guide to how to change it the way you want it?
The global menu is found at the very top of the page in Unity and is separated from the native application.

coldraven
August 14th, 2014, 03:51 PM
I'm assuming your using ubuntu with unity desktop:
this page (http://www.howtogeek.com/187999/how-to-enable-local-menus-in-ubuntu-14.04/) will guide to how to change it the way you want it?
The global menu is found at the very top of the page in Unity and is separated from the native application.

You have to move the mouse over the top panel to see the options File, Edit Etc.
I read somewhere that there is now the option to put the File menu back into the application window. In the Appearance Settings maybe?

nicnok
August 14th, 2014, 07:58 PM
Thank you both kc1di and coldraven. I think maybe you're both advising the 'how-too geek' fix? I have been there already: I liked the clear instructions but no effect whatever on the 'Files' screen. I shall attempt to attach a screenshot [sorry, can't see how to do that - probably superfluous anyway].
Yes, I am sadly with Unity - I've tried to get back to Gnome but not found anything that works [despite quite a few tries].
My earlier explorations talked about moving the mouse over the upper screen - just tried it again - no effect whatever.
Is there a bug?

kc1di
August 14th, 2014, 09:36 PM
Thank you both kc1di and coldraven. I think maybe you're both advising the 'how-too geek' fix? I have been there already: I liked the clear instructions but no effect whatever on the 'Files' screen. I shall attempt to attach a screenshot [sorry, can't see how to do that - probably superfluous anyway].
Yes, I am sadly with Unity - I've tried to get back to Gnome but not found anything that works [despite quite a few tries].
My earlier explorations talked about moving the mouse over the upper screen - just tried it again - no effect whatever.
Is there a bug?

I'm asuming that if your not seeing the file edit , etc in the upper area that there must be something amiss with your unity install :(

coldraven
August 15th, 2014, 09:18 AM
I'm trying to find the article concerning the new ability to switch between Global menu and having the menu back in the application window.
According to this link it is available in 14.04, I cannot test this as I'm using 12.04.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2099903/ubuntus-ditching-unitys-global-menu-returning-to-in-app-menus.html

So somewhere in your settings you should be able to switch between the two styles.
Your upgrade path may not have worked well, I usually do a fresh install to avoid this sort of problem.

Aha! I found the link :) There should be a switch in "Appearance".
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2014/07/ubuntu-14-04-1-lts-released

nicnok
August 15th, 2014, 10:54 AM
You have to move the mouse over the top panel to see the options File, Edit Etc.
I read somewhere that there is now the option to put the File menu back into the application window. In the Appearance Settings maybe?

I think that's what the earlier link [http://www.howtogeek.com/187999/how-to-enable-local-menus-in-ubuntu-14.04/] kindly suggested by kc1di says to do?, but that didn't work.

I installed the Gnome Fallback - that has no upper or lower menu bars either, is very wobbly AND won't let me access the modem.
I found this: Install LXQt / LXDE-QT via PPA in Ubuntu 14.04http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2013/12/install-lxqt-via-ppa-in-ubuntu-14-04-13-10/ .
1/ Is it safe just to install this?
2/ If I do install this will it 'just work' [from the options next to the log-in dialogue] or will I need to uninstall other stuff?

After some 40 hours messing with this migration [very far from an upgrade] I'm considerably regretting going to 14.04 - I can't find the stuff that's suposed to be there and every fix I try seems to make things a bit worse so I'm very nervous now about doing anything - this PC is a working tool and I need it back! I do like Linux but Because I can't now move files to where I need them it looks like I may have to abandon 14.04 perhaps Ubuntu is no longer for me?

kc1di
August 15th, 2014, 11:10 AM
Lets start with what your using for equipment, What is this computer? make model video card ram etc.
We would hate to loose you. I find that most often the problem lies in the video card not being up to 3d acceleration.
if it an older card it may not be up to handling Unity. But xfce /lubuntu should work for you.

In any event give us a little more information about the machine.

nicnok
August 15th, 2014, 12:31 PM
Aha! I found the link :) There should be a switch in "Appearance".
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2014/07/ubuntu-14-04-1-lts-released[/QUOTE]

FIRST: Sorry - I composed the earlier reply then it disapeared so had to start again - so should add:
Thanks coldraven - but I couldn't find any reference to 'a switch in "Appearance" ' in that link [using ctrl+F] - perhaps it relates to the howtogeek link anyway?

SECOND: thanks for coming back kc1di. Sorry if this is an excess of information but I thought your kind concern warranted a detailed reply.
This is an old machine! [comfortable like old shoes] One of the reasons for opting for ubuntu in the 1st place was it wasn't hungry like the various sophistications of Windows became. I started with 09.10 I think.

My needs are relatively few:
I don't listen to music or watch films or video or do gaming on this machine: I have no need for blutooth, iPad, smartphone, I don't do Facebook or Twitter interfaces.
I do a lot of communication with various organisations [emails] and keep fairly advanced accounts for them on LibreOfficecalc, I use the internet mainly for reference, I use eBay, I keep the family 'photos.

I wouldn't say I'm better than 'basic' with Linux skills but I can use Terminals in a limited [very cautious] way... selected output of sudo lshw is:
description:
Desktop Computer
product: A7S8X-MX
width: 32 bits

description: Motherboard
product: A7S8X-MX

cpu

product: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2600+
size: 2083MHz
capacity: 2167MHz
clock: 166MHz

description: System Memory
2GB DDR

description: Display controller
product: R300 AD [Radeon 9500 Pro] (Secondary)
vendor: ATI Technologies Inc
clock: 66MHz

product: AC'97 Sound Controller
vendor: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]

clock: 33MHz

I hope that's enough - if not do ask.

BUT I want rock stable software: I'm happy with a clean and simple browser and desktop [I prefer lists to icons]. I don't want to have to spend time learning where everything's been moved to every time a version runs out of support and I have to upgrade. I do apreciate that things do change [eg increasing use of 'flash' on websites - I'd rather they didn't but they do!] so upgrades are inevitable if the pc's going to deliver the above minimum facilities.

I wasn't being petulent when I said maybe ubuntu was no longer for me. Just seems to have become over-complex for both my needs and hardware: I've heard good things of Lubuntu and Mint - but maybe I should just go the way of xfce as you sugest?
BUTif you think its the way to go please please give some simple but detailed instructions as to how to do the migration.

coldraven
August 15th, 2014, 02:54 PM
Thanks coldraven - but I couldn't find any reference to 'a switch in "Appearance" ' in that link [using ctrl+F] - perhaps it relates to the howtogeek link anyway?

Watch the video in that link to OMGUbuntu, you see him changing the setting in the "Appearance" application. Just hit the dash button and start typing the letters "app" and you should see it. You can also find Appearance in "System Settings".

cscj01
August 15th, 2014, 06:22 PM
I think that's what the earlier link [http://www.howtogeek.com/187999/how-to-enable-local-menus-in-ubuntu-14.04/] kindly suggested by kc1di says to do?, but that didn't work.

I installed the Gnome Fallback - that has no upper or lower menu bars either, is very wobbly AND won't let me access the modem.
I found this: Install LXQt / LXDE-QT via PPA in Ubuntu 14.04http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2013/12/install-lxqt-via-ppa-in-ubuntu-14-04-13-10/ .
1/ Is it safe just to install this?
2/ If I do install this will it 'just work' [from the options next to the log-in dialogue] or will I need to uninstall other stuff?

After some 40 hours messing with this migration [very far from an upgrade] I'm considerably regretting going to 14.04 - I can't find the stuff that's suposed to be there and every fix I try seems to make things a bit worse so I'm very nervous now about doing anything - this PC is a working tool and I need it back! I do like Linux but Because I can't now move files to where I need them it looks like I may have to abandon 14.04 perhaps Ubuntu is no longer for me?If you're in a Gnome Flashback session, you can get the panels to load by opening Nautilus, navigating to /, search for "panel' (without the quotes), and execute a program called gnome-panel. However this is only good for that session. To make it stick, add gnome-panel to your Startup Applications. This is a workaround. I have filed a bug here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-panel/+bug/1357450

nicnok
August 16th, 2014, 09:57 AM
ta coldraven - yes, I have tried what the video shows - no effect at all - maybe kc1di is right that the video card isn't strong enough ... but since my real issue is a dislike of Unity I'd rather find a program that provides the features I require than buy a card to make something lacking key features work slightly better.

cscj01 thanks too: I figured out your advice: I clicked on 'Files', put "/" in the search box then used Ctrl+F to create a search list for "panel" - that gave maybe 500 results, so searched on "gnome-panel" which gave 180 or so results - most were 'text' files. The only 'program' file that looked likely was 'gnome-panel.postrm'. I double clicked on that and all that happened was it opened another exploring screen and all the words on the screen lost the tops of their letters [ie wobbly]. To repeat that the Gnome desktop that boots up looks exactly the same as the Unity one I'm trying to get away from. [no tree, a sidebar with little pictures [ok icons], no top or bottom menu bars] maybe I'm in the wrong place?

cscj01
August 16th, 2014, 03:58 PM
ta coldraven - yes, I have tried what the video shows - no effect at all - maybe kc1di is right that the video card isn't strong enough ... but since my real issue is a dislike of Unity I'd rather find a program that provides the features I require than buy a card to make something lacking key features work slightly better.

cscj01 thanks too: I figured out your advice: I clicked on 'Files', put "/" in the search box then used Ctrl+F to create a search list for "panel" - that gave maybe 500 results, so searched on "gnome-panel" which gave 180 or so results - most were 'text' files. The only 'program' file that looked likely was 'gnome-panel.postrm'. I double clicked on that and all that happened was it opened another exploring screen and all the words on the screen lost the tops of their letters [ie wobbly]. To repeat that the Gnome desktop that boots up looks exactly the same as the Unity one I'm trying to get away from. [no tree, a sidebar with little pictures [ok icons], no top or bottom menu bars] maybe I'm in the wrong place?

Have you installed gnome-session-fallback (you can check in Ubuntu Software Center)? If not, enter the following in a terminal session (ctrl-alt-T):
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install gnome-session-fallbackIf gnome-session-fallback is installed or if you install it as above, you should be able to log out, click the little gear to the right of your user name, select Gnome Flashback (Metacity), and log back in. Then you will have the Gnome desktop. From there, if you still have no panels, you can follow the original instructions I gave with the caveats below.

After you are in the Gnome desktop and there are no panels, you can get to Nautilus one of two ways. If there are icons on your desktop for the disk drives or home, you can right click one of them and click open. Then you can choose File System in the left side of the window and start your search for panel as I described earlier. If there are no icons for home or your disk drives, you can open a terminal window using ctrl-alt-T and entering
nautilusThen you can choose File System and start your search.

I thought you were using the Gnome desktop, but you were using the Unity desktop, so my instructions must have been a little hard to decipher.

Edit: You may need to restart your system after installing gnome-session-fallback.

nicnok
August 17th, 2014, 10:51 PM
thank you cscj01 & coldraven for your patience and staying with this. Particularly useful was
"Have you installed gnome-session-fallback" [sorry- don't know how to do a little quotes box]

I certainly downloaded it and asked it to install AND the ubuntu icon next to 'login name' offered it as an option AND something booted when I adopted that option BUT, using the checks you suggested I found Synaptic reported "GNOME Session Fallback" as uninstalled.
So I marked if for installation and installed it, closed down, rebooted and Metacity appeared as an option - and it works nicely and gives the features I was missing in Unity - great!
Nautilus boots nicely from the 'Files' icon BUT it still has no File etc showing in its title bar. OK, so I [again] change "Behaviour" in the "Appearance" screen under "Personal" to "In the window title bar". mmm, WELL, the File, Edit, View etc options are present on all the screens I've been to EXCEPT in Nautilus.
So I wonder if I've followed your instructions properly, so I check in Synaptic again. To my amazement it says GNOME Session Fallback is NOT installed [that's odd. since here I am using it! - I think] but it does say GNOME Session Flashback is installed. Maybe this makes no difference to the key issue, but I'm reporting it in case it does.
TO RECAP: [the swamp and alligators comes to mind]
1/ I wanted Gnome Classic, not Unity -ACHIEVED -many thanks!
2/ When I move files I need to be able to see both the source and target directories/folders/files [ie a Tree at both ends of the transaction]. I can't get Nautilus to do that. The suggested options are:
a/ to get Nautilus to change the useless [to me] left hand panel to a 'tree' [said to be achievable by using the 'File' option - but I can't so far get the File, Edit, View etc options to display in the title bar]
b/ ditch Nautilus & use another program [kc1di suggested xfce] - I asked a couple of Qs on that but no reply so far.

Any further advice would be most appreciated.

cscj01
August 18th, 2014, 04:34 AM
thank you cscj01 & coldraven for your patience and staying with this. Particularly useful was
"Have you installed gnome-session-fallback" [sorry- don't know how to do a little quotes box]

I certainly downloaded it and asked it to install AND the ubuntu icon next to 'login name' offered it as an option AND something booted when I adopted that option BUT, using the checks you suggested I found Synaptic reported "GNOME Session Fallback" as uninstalled.
So I marked if for installation and installed it, closed down, rebooted and Metacity appeared as an option - and it works nicely and gives the features I was missing in Unity - great!
Nautilus boots nicely from the 'Files' icon BUT it still has no File etc showing in its title bar. OK, so I [again] change "Behaviour" in the "Appearance" screen under "Personal" to "In the window title bar". mmm, WELL, the File, Edit, View etc options are present on all the screens I've been to EXCEPT in Nautilus.
So I wonder if I've followed your instructions properly, so I check in Synaptic again. To my amazement it says GNOME Session Fallback is NOT installed [that's odd. since here I am using it! - I think] but it does say GNOME Session Flashback is installed. Maybe this makes no difference to the key issue, but I'm reporting it in case it does.
TO RECAP: [the swamp and alligators comes to mind]
1/ I wanted Gnome Classic, not Unity -ACHIEVED -many thanks!
2/ When I move files I need to be able to see both the source and target directories/folders/files [ie a Tree at both ends of the transaction]. I can't get Nautilus to do that. The suggested options are:
a/ to get Nautilus to change the useless [to me] left hand panel to a 'tree' [said to be achievable by using the 'File' option - but I can't so far get the File, Edit, View etc options to display in the title bar]
b/ ditch Nautilus & use another program [kc1di suggested xfce] - I asked a couple of Qs on that but no reply so far.

Any further advice would be most appreciated.
The way Nautilus works now is to use the icons on the right. The right most one that looks like a gear is a pulldown. You can open a new tab or new window there. The old F3 split screen seems to be gone. If you use tabs, it works, but it's a little funky. You can copy items from one tab, then paste them to the other tab. The issue for me is when you are viewing one tab, you don't see the other, sort of like the tabs in Firefox. I prefer the split panes.

I also use an application called gnome commander that is a two-paned application. It is available through Synaptic or Ubuntu Software Center. To install from a terminal, use the following commands:
Sudo apt-get update
Sudo apt-get install gnome-commanderTwo KDE application file browsers, both of which can be configured as two-paned browser, are Dolphin and Krusader. I've tried them, but always have stuck with Nautilus and Gnome Commander. I think that is personal taste. Both can be found in Synaptic and Ubuntu Software Center.

nicnok
August 18th, 2014, 09:20 PM
Thanks cscj01 - useful info again - had a look at 'commander': I think its a lot more than I need but may give it a try.
It would have been useful to have found a means of giving Nautilus back a 'File, Edit etc' toolbar to reintroduce the left-hand tree but I've run out of energy. I'll put up with the unhandy "copy items from one tab, then paste them to the other tab" until I've some heavy filing to do then probably move to Lubuntu.

Thanks again for the help but it looks like there's no fix available that I can get to work on this machine.