PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problem with apt-get

m_a2
August 13th, 2014, 01:48 AM
Hello I am new to Ubuntu and still learning and getting used to using terminal. For one of my university assignments I am asked to create a DNS server for a business using Ubuntu, for this I decided to use static addressing, I done this by making changes to the interfaces file and using apt-get remove to remove the dhcp client.

The problem I am facing is when I try to use apt-get install bind9 I get the following error:

E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with --fix-missing

I believe this problem has only started happening after I attempted to make my addresses static as prior to doing so I used the apt-get update command which worked fine however now even that brings up this error.

Any idea why this is happening, I am a newbie to Ubuntu so I apologise if this is a dumb question which has an obvious solution.

steeldriver
August 13th, 2014, 01:56 AM
Hello and welcome to the forums

Can you post the contents of your current /etc/network/interfaces file please? Did you remember to add at least one nameserver?

(DHCP usually provides DNS configuration as well as the basic IP addressing)

m_a2
August 13th, 2014, 02:59 AM
Will a screen shot of the /etc/network/inrerfaces file be suffice as I am doing this project using a virtual machine therefore cant copy and paste the content directly into here.

As for the name server does this need to be the default gateway?

http://postimg.org/image/rm5g05j7z/

m_a2
August 13th, 2014, 03:00 AM
http://postimg.org/image/rm5g05j7z/

Link for screen shot

steeldriver
August 13th, 2014, 03:04 AM
If your gateway is a router that is running a DNS server, then yes you can just specify that. Otherwise you can use a public DNS provider like OpenDNS or google e.g.

dns-nameservers 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4

m_a2
August 13th, 2014, 03:36 AM
Thank you sooo much steeldriver. It was a problem with the nameserver. Really appreciate the help :D