PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] A grub dual boot problem

dimmaz88
August 12th, 2014, 12:02 PM
Hi, I recently re-installed ubuntu 14.04 from 12.04.

I have windows 7 installed on a separate hdd, and ubuntu on an ssd. I had a few issues with ubuntu 12.04 so thought I'd update it.

Since installing it I don't get the boot menu. Both drives are UEFI although I don't know if that makes a difference in this case.

I've tried using the live boot repair cd, but that didn't work. It said I need to create a <1mb partition..... Not sure of the rest of it but it baffled me.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

EDIT: I've just noticed in the bios it won't let me select the windows hdd as a boot option. However, it is recognized in another menu.

oldfred
August 12th, 2014, 04:22 PM
If Boot-Repair is asking for the bios-grub partition, you are trying to convert an UEFI install to BIOS install. Grub does not correctly install in BIOS mode to gpt's protective MBR without the 1MB unformatted bios-grub partition.

Did you reinstall in UEFI mode? How you boot installer is how it installs.

And UEFI and BIOS are not compatible. So you can only boot from UEFI/BIOS into systems installed in different modes. And some require you to turn on or off UEFI or BIOS/CSM/Legacy boot modes. Secure boot only is available with UEFI. If dual booting best to have secure boot off also.

Post ths link from Boot-Repair's BootInfo Summary report.
Boot Repair -Also handles LVM, GPT, separate /boot and UEFI dual boot.:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair